Imperial Sand Dune Recreation Area • Including Buttercup & Gordon's Well

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Jerry Seaver
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
Please enter the middle number: 5

Keeping the Roads Open at the ISDRA

Post by Jerry Seaver »

"Keeping the roads open!" (News.bytes Extra)
Sand dunes like those in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area offer a unique off-highway recreation opportunity -- and a steady supply of sand blown across access roads. The BLM El Centro Field Office’s "Force Account" maintenance crew tackles the constant challenge of keeping these roads clear of sand and debris and open to the public. Popular recreation areas -- like the Imperial Sand Dunes -- require the attention of these unsung workers who tirelessly scrape sand and maintain access.
http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/info/newsby ... dcrew.html

Vincent J Brunasso
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Keeping the Roads Open at the ISDRA

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

Sand dunes like those in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area offer a unique off-highway recreation opportunity – and a steady supply blown across access roads. The BLM El Centro Field Office’s "Force Account" maintenance crew tackles the constant challenge of keeping these roads clear of sand and debris and open to the public. Popular recreation areas -- like the Imperial Sand Dunes -- require the attention of these unsung workers who tirelessly scrape sand and maintain access. (text continues below)

Constant maintenance along ISDRA's Wash Road keeps popular camping areas accessible.

Moving sand on the dunes’ Wash Road is a never-ending endeavor; the shoulders are regularly worked to keep the sand from encroaching the road. “Without this constant maintenance, the road would disappear,” says Force Account Supervisor Steve Geyman.

El Centro Field Manager Margaret L. Goodro agrees. “This road provides access to popular camping areas that would be unreachable without all this work," she says. "It takes a constant effort to keep these areas accessible to the public, and our crew is doing a great job.”

ImageImageImage
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

Be nice if they would take care of Ogilby's access road
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

bgwhtjp33
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by bgwhtjp33 »

X2^^^^
Your just jealous.....cause the voices don't talk to you

Ed T.
93 Jeep Cherokee
07 Predator 500

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

gelwell wrote:Be nice if they would take care of Ogilby's access road
Most of that road is on private property... At least that is the reason the BLM gives for not maintaining it.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

LoBuck wrote:
Most of that road is on private property... At least that is the reason the BLM gives for not maintaining it.
Then why are they enforcing dune access permits? Shouldn't the BLM be maintaining the road for its users and help the property owner (the railroad)?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

gelwell wrote:
LoBuck wrote:
Then why are they enforcing dune access permits? Shouldn't the BLM be maintaining the road for its users and help the property owner (the railroad)?
As I recall the property that is private is the road toward the tower, not all the way to it, and the property surrounding the tower. I'm not sure how far around the tower is private property. The reason the BLM "can" charge for the permit is for USE. Remember that the fee is for a Special Use Permit for your Primary Vehicle to be "used" at the ISDRA. The fee is not to enter, access, camp, or park at the ISDRA. BTW -That's the BLM's stance, not mine. :wink:

Now, if you could park your Primary Vehicle on private property, like at the tower or GBS up North, without crossing BLM lands (therefore Using them) and drove/rode your green stickered OHV from the private property onto the ISDRA then you wouldn't need a permit. No Primary Vehicle on the ISDRA, no permit.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Ah OK that makes sense Lobuck. Still doesnt mean the BLM couldn't help maintain the road for the property owner.

Sue Davies Laird
ASA BOD Meeting Logistics Chairperson
ASA BOD Meeting Logistics Chairperson

Post by Sue Davies Laird »

I am happy they are working on this!
8)
Sue~

"I used to have a handle on life, but it broke"
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is hopeless” – Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

azsandrider
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by azsandrider »

The BLM could build an acess road around the private property at Ogilby Tower.....

I think us Ogilby Tower users should get together with a couple of tractors & dump trails one summer weekend and fix the bad section ourselves....just wish I had a tractor as I have the time...
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

azsandrider wrote:The BLM could build an acess road around the private property at Ogilby Tower.....

I think us Ogilby Tower users should get together with a couple of tractors & dump trails one summer weekend and fix the bad section ourselves....just wish I had a tractor as I have the time...
We Ogilbeetions have always been on our own. But with a bobcat and a dump truck we could probably fixed the existing road fairly easily and with minimal expense. The problem is getting the permission to do it.

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”