Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

YFZ Bob
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Train Accident at Wash 13

Post by YFZ Bob »

There was an accident (attempted suicide?) at wash 13. We were among the first to arrive at the site. Awaken by the train whistle early Sunday morning we knew there was something wrong.Trains don't blow thier whistles 2 1/2 miles from the crossing. We ran down to wash 13 and found his quad parked. We got onto the track looking to see if we could help anybody, What we witness will be forever in our memories for a long, long time.

http://www.glamissanddunes.com
Stop in and check it out!

Edited by - BansheeBob on 02/17/2002 8:50:19 PM

RoostKing

Post by RoostKing »

I assume you found the person? Man That stinks. ant belive someone would be in the sand and even have thoughts about ending there life. What a downer...

RoostKing...

RoostKing...

Jeepster
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by Jeepster »

The way I heard it was that he was drinking with his friends and then went out at 4:00am for a ride. What happened to the saying "Friends don't let friends drink and drive"

Have fun... but use common sense

Help keep America Free.

YFZ Bob

Post by YFZ Bob »

Off-roader killed by passenger train

By DARREN SIMON, Staff Writer

GLAMIS — A 20-year-old Chino man off-roading with family and friends was killed Sunday when he was struck by an Amtrak passenger train.

Authorities this morning were attempting to determine why the man, Michael Black, laid down on the tracks and whether he was conscious as the high-speed train approached.

The incident occurred at 5:30 a.m. along Wash Road in the Glamis area.

County Sheriff's Office officials said this morning they were trying to determine whether it was an accidental death.

They said according to the train conductor, Black was lying on the tracks and did not move as the train approached. The conductor said the train's horn was blown to try to gain the man's attention but he did not move.

The conductor said the train's brakes were applied but there was no way to stop the large train in time.

Black's quad was parked just a few feet from where he was struck.

Authorities were going to do a toxicology test to determine whether Black had any drugs or alcohol in his system when he was killed.

After Black was struck, local authorities held the Amtrak train for four hours as they attempted to investigate the case.

Officials said the train was traveling from Florida to Los Angeles.

http://www.glamissanddunes.com
Stop in and check it out!

WARNING:
LEADER HAS HELMET ON BACKWARD!

JET
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by JET »

I heard from someone else who saw it. It isn't something you really want to describe.

Jeff

SANDMAN
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by SANDMAN »

I too saw the results of the train wreck and after getting home found out it was the son of my wifes sisters friend. I was at the store when the train started up again and from wash 13 to the store the train was already up to at least 70 mph. I think passenger trains travel at 80-90 mph. I have never seen a passenger train go thru glamis until that morning. I now have a totally new respect for trains. Yes we will still be smashing pennies, but not without me or wife being right there with the kids, then go back to camp and wait for train from camp. Things have also fallen off of trains and killed people just standing to close to tracks when it goes by. My thoughts and prayers go out the family.

Pete De PalmaASA Area Rep Lake Elsinore/Canyon Lake/Murrieta/TemeculaREAL MEN PLAY IN THE SAND

robio
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by robio »

To add to sandman's warnings about things falling off trains: a speeding train pulls a vacuum underneath that can suck you under if you're too close.

If you can't be safe, be glorious

Fuzzy Knight
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Fuzzy Knight »

Just talked to a buddy in LA and the boy that was killed was in the group that he normally camps with. It was stated that they had been parting all night and the boy had eaten some of the mushrooms that were floating around. This is all hearsay so I really don't know if it is all true. But what a shame.
Fuzzy

San Diego East County
ASA Rep
Catch me if you can!

DuninDan
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DuninDan »

I was staying at wash twelve and saw the aftermath of the accident, it was something you would not want to describe and something that makes you take a moment of silence to remember how fragile out lives our... and how you should not mess around with trains.

Check out my web sit @ http://home.earthlink.net/~dandtayres

YFZ Bob

Post by YFZ Bob »

Has anyone ever found out the final story on this?

racer382
1st Gear Member

Post by racer382 »

I live in Chino, the guys mom is a principal at one of schools in the area. In fact the family lives only a couple blocks away. It is rumerd he had some mushrooms...and those things make you hallucinate. Just another reason that people should stay away from those things, because you have no real control over yourself when you take things like that.
-Brian

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”