Poiks
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Big day on IV Press Online!

Post by Poiks »

All from http://www.ivpressonline.com/opinion/ today: :P :D
Voice: Environmental extremists are the problem

Oh boy, here we go again. Just when I thought I have heard it all. I have been working very close with the Bureau of Land Management and they do a wonderful job of keeping people out of the wilderness area. However, what is interesting and never mentioned is the fact that the visitors do a great job of staying out of that area.

Mr. Patterson, show me 1 acre of land that has been reopened to off-highway use in the last 15 years. Then let's compare that to the closures. There have been millions of acres closed to not only OHV use but also any kind of use. Yes my friends, your public lands closed to you.

I don't even have to tell you why — I'm sure you can guess. The Center for Biological Diversity (of which Daniel Patterson is a member), is the sole reason the 49,000 acres of the dunes were closed Thanksgiving 2000. And if he had his way the entire Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area would be closed to OHVs. Folks — think about what that would do to our county.

Oh, and Daniel, call off your boys from the Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Commission and maybe, just maybe, the BLM will have the sufficient funds to manage the ISDRA. The OHMVR Commission is holding $1.4 million ransom from the BLM at the ISDRA. And you're gonna love the demands they are making. No money unless the BLM implements capacity limits, curfews, no reopening of closures, alcohol bans and more.

Does any of this sound familiar to you? And Daniel said the president is the reason for the problems. I would suggest you and the extreme environmental movement are, Mr. Patterson.

CHARLES MOBLEY

Brawley
Voice: Patterson's at it again

Once again Daniel Patterson feels the need to put his spin on things with regard to the Imperial Sand Dunes, and the truth about who does what seems to be irrelevant.

Until Patterson said it, I had no idea that the president was also a member of the Imperial County Board of Supervisors. They, along with the Sherriff's Office set the curfew in place, and I didn't see President Bush's name in there anywhere.

The illegal off-roading he is talking about are small incursions into a very few places by a very few people into areas where the markers have fallen, and nothing more ... and he knows it.

He continues with the old standby, "The Interior Department wants to roll back protections and open more areas to off-roading." What? He must have that confused with the fact that we are simply trying to reopen areas that should never have been closed in the first place. Since he knows that the Peirson's milk vetch is, in fact, thriving in the open areas, other studies conclude that duning presents no real threat to the desert tortoise and the flat-tailed lizard, he resorts to the same tired rhetoric.

Sadly, his real problem is that the truth about who does what may be catching up with the more radical side of the environmental groups.

RAYMOND FLORES

Escondido
Voice: Patterson's group ‘extorts' money from BLM

After reading Daniel Patterson's letter it struck me that here in a person who openly acknowledges his association with an environmental group that extorts millions upon millions of dollars from the Bureau of Land Management through litigation. Yet he has the audacity to complain about the meager amount spent on law enforcement in the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area over the Thanksgiving holiday weekend.

I do not feel that the increased presence of law enforcement officers in the dunes during that period is a waste in any way. There were an estimated 175,000 people in the ISDRA over the holiday. With that number of people in such a confined area the increase in law enforcement officer presence was absolutely necessary.

If Mr. Patterson and his group are so worried about other areas being left unprotected, maybe they should donate some of the exorbitant amount of money they have extorted from the BLM to help them "manage" those areas! After all, that was the original purpose for that money.

Unfortunately, Mr. Patterson and the Center for Biological Diversity think it's a personal slush fund available to them to promote their own twisted views on land "management."

JOE ELMS JR.

Blythe
Voice: CBD subterfuge not working

After reading Daniel Patterson's recent letter, I can only conclude that he is up to his same old tricks of lying and mis-informing — the two mainstays of his organization.

Off-roaders are not the ones who congregate at the bottom of what is really a small hill next to the highway to party and commit illegal acts. We are, however the ones who have been pleading with the local law enforcement to do something about the people who do and have gone as far as establishing education programs and helping to provide equipment for law enforcement. Not to mention paying for access to the land so there is money for enforcement.

Contrary to what Mr. Patterson says, we, the off-roaders, have done far more to protect the dune environment than they have. Remember: While the Center for Biological Diversity was lining its own pockets with ill-gotten federal money, off-roaders were spending theirs to do plant and seed bed studies in order to find out whether or not a problem really existed.

MATT VALENZUELA

Peoria, Ariz.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

Good job:
Chuck, Ray, Joe and Matt!

Sue Davies Laird
ASA BOD Meeting Logistics Chairperson
ASA BOD Meeting Logistics Chairperson

Post by Sue Davies Laird »

and don't foget we also POSTED ALL THE STAKES keeping US out!
Sue~

"I used to have a handle on life, but it broke"
“God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is hopeless” – Admiral Chester W. Nimitz

SailAway

Post by SailAway »

Mine was in yesterday's paper... talk about ganging up on the guy! Couldn't think of a more worthy soul.
December 10, 2002
Voice: Enviromentalist’s rhetoric on dunes is so much fluff

Mr. Patterson’s business-as-usual attempt to place his unique spin on the situation at the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area is not surprising. The fact that he must once again be reminded that the Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area is known as a world-class off-roading area (drawing millions of sand enthusiasts per year), making emphasis on off-roading more than appropriate for that locale, is also not surprising. What is surprising, however, is that he would continue to believe no one is going to catch on to his rhetoric and dismiss it as just so much fluff.

When he mentions the closed conservation area, he must be referring to the wilderness area along Highway 78 (across from the ISDRA), which was congressionally closed to motorized access years ago. I have not seen proof of what he refers to as illegal off-roading in the wilderness area, but then again I have not seen proof of any form of recreation in that wilderness area such as hiking, bird watching or photography, either, other than an occasional set of footprints wandering in about 50 feet or so and returning as they came.

At any rate, I am pleased at the Bureau of Land Management’s failure to enforce illegal off-roading in closed conservation areas. To enforce means to “carry out effectively,” insist on, strengthen, compel. I certainly do not want the BLM compelling anyone to illegally ride in closed conservation areas and I applaud the BLM for refusing to do so.

VICKI WARREN

Member of DUNER (Duners

Undoing Needless Environmental Restrictions)
Everyone wave to Dano :P
Vicki Warren
President of DUNERS and Friends of
Dumont Dunes user groups
http://www.duners.org
http://www.FriendsOfDumontDunes.org

BANSHEEGIRL
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by BANSHEEGIRL »

WOW!!!!!! Great job guys and gals!!!! Thank you very much!!!!

The Oldtimer
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by The Oldtimer »

Just so you boys and girls know...Raymond is my legal name... :oops:

you're welcome.
Frankie

Member of the ASA

Poiks

Post by Poiks »

The Oldtimer wrote:Just so you boys and girls know...Raymond is my legal name... :oops:

you're welcome.
Wow! I was wondering who the eloquent Raymond Flores was... :D

Jason G
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by Jason G »

Thank you for putting our voice out there once again. GOOD JOB!

Radrat

Post by Radrat »

hahahahaha.. Raymond.. L:)
Chuck Mobley, Dunecologist
VP DUNERS
"The highest priority ought to be human life and the property of citizens."

Return to “Glamis Dunes • I.S.D.R.A.”