Designing the perfect RV parking gate

Technical Discussion Forum -
Post your pics, discuss metal fab, find answers here.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Bob Tenwick
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Designing the perfect RV parking gate

Post by Bob Tenwick »

I'm re-doing my driveway, including the RV parking. I've imbedded fence posts in a curb on property line, and where I want my gate I stuck in a 5" x 5" 3/8" thick square pole 3' in the ground. I'm going to pick up some hinges and get them welded on the square post, and fab a 2" square tube frame to make a 12' gate.

What I want to do is incorporate a small walk-through gate that would make up the last 3' or so of the 12'. I want to be able to open up the small gate to walk through or drag trash cans through, or lock the two sections together and swing out the entire 12' as a whole and latch it 90 degrees open.

I can't seem to come up with a design in my head that doesn't have problems, has anyone built a gate like this before??

quad1100
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by quad1100 »

One way you could go is sink another pole on the other side and make a 3' swing gate and a 8' swing gate and have them lock where they meet?

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

Okay, here is idea number 2, a bit more work and it calls for a taller gate.

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

One parameter is I can't have a wheel supporting the swinging edge. The 5x5 post can handle the weight of the gate no problem, but the frame of the gate must be able to support itself.

I was thinking along the lines of a double hinge. Hingeing the gate a few feet in from the end, but being able to lock that hinge when the whole gate opens. What I don't want is the smaller hinge door to flop around when I open the whole gate.

I'll probably have a dowel that drops from the big section into the slab to hold it closed, I was hoping to rig something that locks the secondary hinge when that dowel pin is pulled up.

The Oldtimer

Post by The Oldtimer »

I know it might get in the way, but if you want the gate to be one piece, you really need make the bottom rail continuous...either that or extend the diagonal brace to the top rail, brace above the door and down the side.

It might be easier to make two gates with a sliding bar mounted to the larger gate...weld a tab/stop on the small gate's post to hold the small gate in line so you can slide the bar from one to the other without trying to hold them both steady.

Sorta expanding on your solution, Quad...
Frankie

Member of the ASA

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

Okay just for the record I am not bored nor do I have a lot of time on my hands, it turns out I was just curious and had to do this.

Here is some analysis I ran on the gate I proposed, I drew up a version of the gate in Solidworks, I used 2x2 steel tube with .125" wall and I made it really simple, even left out the “X” pattern which was in my first drawing, basically I was looking for a worse case scenario. Keeping in mind the simplicity of this analysis I fixed the entire right side face, as you can see there are no hinges, I then put two 800 lb forces on the other side of the gate going down. I know that seems to be a bit much but it took that much weight to get any results at all. One other thing that you should know, this is all one piece, so there is no analysis on the weld joints.

Know remember, there was 1600 lbs of force on the left side, basically as if a 1600 lb person was standing on the bottom bar on the left side. Not bad results if you ask me.

Check out the report here and you can enlarge the view of the pictures.

Stress Analysis

Sandemon
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Sandemon »

What about use the same design as in the drawing, but make the pole it is mounted to go up another 3 feet or so, and put a swinging collar at the top and a cable to the other top corner or if the gate was all metal you could use round stock, but I prefer a cable with a turnbuckle. :twisted: 8) :)
The ORIGINAL Sandemon
Member of D.U.N.E.R.
Go Hard or Go HomePick Up Your Trash

mawieche
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by mawieche »

make the last three feet of gate slide to the hinge side. similar to a pocket door in a house.
Just a dune dummie.

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

quad1100 wrote:Okay just for the record I am not bored nor do I have a lot of time on my hands, it turns out I was just curious and had to do this.

Here is some analysis I ran on the gate I proposed, I drew up a version of the gate in Solidworks, I used 2x2 steel tube with .125" wall and I made it really simple, even left out the “X” pattern which was in my first drawing, basically I was looking for a worse case scenario. Keeping in mind the simplicity of this analysis I fixed the entire right side face, as you can see there are no hinges, I then put two 800 lb forces on the other side of the gate going down. I know that seems to be a bit much but it took that much weight to get any results at all. One other thing that you should know, this is all one piece, so there is no analysis on the weld joints.

Know remember, there was 1600 lbs of force on the left side, basically as if a 1600 lb person was standing on the bottom bar on the left side. Not bad results if you ask me.

Check out the report here and you can enlarge the view of the pictures.

Stress Analysis
awesome. That's what I'm going to use, 2" square tubing, 2 rectangles, each with a diagonal brace.

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

mawieche wrote:make the last three feet of gate slide to the hinge side. similar to a pocket door in a house.
Genius :!:

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

Here's where I'm at.

On the left is the 5" hinge post, on the right is the two fence posts that will hold the 2' section (latch side) that will be fixed because it's under the eave anyway. The gate will actually be 13' 1".

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

mawieche wrote:make the last three feet of gate slide to the hinge side. similar to a pocket door in a house.
The more I think about this the better it sounds. The three foot section could have a wheel that supported half of it's weight when closed, and rollers that rolled slightly uphill on the gate side (to pick up the wheel when it's open), with a latch to latch it open.

I like it.

mawieche
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by mawieche »

I have been building gates on the side for a number of years. I have built several like this and you are on the right track with the wheels and rollers.
Just a dune dummie.

Glamisman
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Glamisman »

Just a thought... is 3 ' going to be wide enough? It sure would be nice to be able to drive/push a quad through the small gate rather than having to open the big one all the time.

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

The gate was finished a few weeks ago. I went with one piece, and bought 15 million dollar hinges to support it. It's smooth as silk, you just have to watch for gusts of wind, lol.

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall »

Bob Tenwick wrote:The gate was finished a few weeks ago. I went with one piece, and bought 15 million dollar hinges to support it. It's smooth as silk, you just have to watch for gusts of wind, lol.
Is your camera broke? How about some pics?
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC
'98 KTM 620SC
'06 KDX 200..my son's bike
KX 100 My 11 year old son's
KFX 400 also my son's bike
LT 500..all mine

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

Alright, well it's not COMPLETELY done. :shock: I still have one more piece of cedar to put up but before I do I have to router it out for the hinges and I haven't bought a router yet. Actually, I bet if you check back next desert season that piece probably still won't be up, :oops: , so I guess it is done. It latches in the open position too so it won't blow shut. I caught my son giving the neighbor kids rides on it the other day, lol.

Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall »

Sweet!
Greg Hall
KG6IAT
http://www.hallsengine.com
Visiting and helping to protect the dunes since 1962

http://www.RideOcotilloWells.com

'06 KTM 525EXC