Since 1936 This has Happened to Every Election..............

This forum is for the discussion of topics of political nature that affect the duning community.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Since 1936 This has Happened to Every Election..............

Post by OBSESSED »

The Washington Redskins win [the Sunday before an election] and the President in office wins election the following Tuesday. Since 1936 this has happened EVERY TIME!

So today I watched and listened to the game Vs Green Bay.

Green Bay won...

So just as the Redsox won to reverse the curse of the Bambino, Bush must win to reverse the curse of the Redskins! [Redsox/Redskins-get it?]

Hey, it can't get any more bizzzzzzzzarrrrrrrrrr !

Have a great Day!

S

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

I think it's safe to congratulate the President this morning, even if Kerry won't concede.

Thanks to everyone who voted for the President.

Special thanks to Jim and Jan McGarvie who led off-roaders to re-elect the President so fervently. We didn't get the Senate seat, but it wansn't for lack of effort on the McGarvie's part.

Congratulations to Senator Thune of South Dakota.

Congratualtions to Obama of Illinois. he seems like a class guy.

phew....I can breathe a little easier.....whoopee.....not Whoopie :D

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

I think it's safe to congratulate the President this morning, even if Kerry won't concede.

Thanks to everyone who voted for the President.

Special thanks to Jim and Jan McGarvie who led off-roaders to re-elect the President so fervently. We didn't get the Senate seat, but it wansn't for lack of effort on the McGarvie's part.

Congratulations to Senator Thune of South Dakota.

Congratualtions to Obama of Illinois. he seems like a class guy.

phew....I can breathe a little easier.....whoopee.....not Whoopie :D

Steve, I think the mold has been broken with the Redskin deal. We're still lacking one electoral vote to get over the top.....statistically they're saying there's no chance for Kerry, but there are still some who won't concede.

Will the Democratic sea of lawyers storm into Ohio and try to somehow extract victory for Kerry out of the ashes? not a good deal for the Country if that were somehow to happen.

thor
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by thor »

the Red Socks and then the Redskins. Whats next.. :-s

Poiks

Post by Poiks »

The only thing worse than a poor loser is a poor winner. Lets not start accusing the Democrats of anything they haven't done yet. And remember that it was the Republicans who brought the Florida case to the supreme court in 2000, not the Democrats.

Bush won the popular vote by over 3 million votes, and he should be President. In one way, I'm glad. You people would've been impossible to live with for the next four years if Kerry had won! :wink:

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

Poiks wrote:The only thing worse than a poor loser is a poor winner. ...

...You people would've been impossible to live with for the next four years if Kerry had won!
Um, the hypocrasy never stops with you, does it Jon? :wink:

Seriously, I agree with Jon, for once. :shock:

Has anyone visited the Democratic Underground forum this morning? OMG! These guys a just psycho. I tried to register to do a little fishing, but 1) they're not accepting new members, and 2) I'm not sure I'd actually be able to troll them. Where would you start? :shrug:
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sbheg »

Well at least California did not give into the RR war monger whom is now a legitimate president Today! Hope all you parents are happy sending your boys and girls to his religious war. A thousand years from now this will be known as the Crusades of the 21st century!

At least one positive thing is San Diego county is losing its' Republican grip, barely giving Bush his Victory in our county.

It is too bad that the nation is still going to be polarized and divided for the next 4 years, ensured by the likes of Bush, because in the opposite words of GWB he is a “divider not a uniter” or is that we had meant all along.

I have to admit I am disappointed, as is the rest of the world that Bush won, but then as I know most of you do not care, just like Bush.

Have a nice 4 years.

Hey I bought a Honda TRX 450 yesterday! The finance guy at Alba Sports keeps giving me the play by play on the election. He would not admit he was for Bush, but I knew he was giving me a line saying he did not like either.

sbheg
Proud ASA Volunteer

L&L Corvairs
ASA Board Member
ASA Board Member

Post by L&L Corvairs »

thor wrote:the Red Socks and then the Redskins. Whats next.. :-s
The Raiders win one more game this season!!!!! :lol:
L&L
It is not ours to decide the times in which we live.
It is only ours to decide what to do with the time given us.

Make the most of your time.

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

sbheg wrote:Hope all you parents are happy sending your boys and girls to his religious war. A thousand years from now this will be known as the Crusades of the 21st century!
sbheg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

'Rekd teh singing: "It's the end of the world as we know it..."

Seriously, sbheg, mayhaps in the next 4 years you'll pull your head out of the sand (read CNN, CBS and M. Moore's butte), and see the truth as it really is, and not how you're told to see it. (I doubt it, but you never know.)

I have more respect this morning for Kerry than I ever had before. He would still SUCK as a CiC, but I respect him more now.
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sbheg »

Rekd wrote:
sbheg wrote:Hope all you parents are happy sending your boys and girls to his religious war. A thousand years from now this will be known as the Crusades of the 21st century!
sbheg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

'Rekd teh singing: "It's the end of the world as we know it..."

Seriously, sbheg, mayhaps in the next 4 years you'll pull your head out of the sand (read CNN, CBS and M. Moore's butte), and see the truth as it really is, and not how you're told to see it. (I doubt it, but you never know.)

I have more respect this morning for Kerry than I ever had before. He would still SUCK as a CiC, but I respect him more now.
Well when you take your head out of Bush's, I'll take mine out of the sand.

The world is not going to end, I am not afraid of us losing what we have; you guys eating Bushes salad are the ones worried!

I think they both were Bad choices and wish neither had been running, but I preferred Bush gone, because I simply do NOT like him, nor do I trust him, even if he was a Libertarian, I would vote against him period. He is the first President I am ashamed to have voted for in 2000, he took a decent party and shifted it so far to the religious right.

We in America need a new party, the Middle Class party, Republicans can have the Religious right and the Democrats can have the extreme environmentalists green types. The country can be run by moderates instead of extremists as it is today and for the next 4 years.

I still woke up in America Today and can have an opinion that is different, but one day I may wake up in America and not be able to say what I feel without ending up in the Gulag. Keep voting for extreme religious conservatives like Bush and the first amendment will be removed eventually.

JMO but for you others it is JMSO

sbheg
Proud ASA Volunteer

Poiks

Post by Poiks »

sbheg wrote:We in America need a new party, the Middle Class party, Republicans can have the Religious right and the Democrats can have the extreme environmentalists green types. The country can be run by moderates instead of extremists as it is today and for the next 4 years.
Hear, hear!

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

Well, now that John Kerry has conceded, we can officially say this election is in the history books.

I'm glad Kerry had the grace to call the President and congratulate him, after making the decision that the election was lost.

There were no sour grapes expressed, and I would hope that carrys over in the weeks that follow.

The election is over; so should the haggleing be over; let's get on with what we are here for, and hope the politicians can get on with a bit more cooperation than what we've witnessed in the last few months.

sbheg
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by sbheg »

FunRunner wrote:I'm glad Kerry had the grace to call the President and congratulate him, after making the decision that the election was lost.

There were no sour grapes expressed, and I would hope that carrys over in the weeks that follow.
Why would you expect anything different, it was a fair race, the last one was not!
JMO
Proud ASA Volunteer

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS »

Poiks wrote:
sbheg wrote:We in America need a new party, the Middle Class party, Republicans can have the Religious right and the Democrats can have the extreme environmentalists green types. The country can be run by moderates instead of extremists as it is today and for the next 4 years.
Hear, hear!
Me too. Call it the Off-Roading/Enviromental Party... :lol:

To me, the lesser of two evils won this time. I know this great Country can do better... :P

Hope to see you at the POKER RUN this weekend at G... 8)
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

L&L Corvairs
ASA Board Member
ASA Board Member

Post by L&L Corvairs »

SANDUNERS wrote:
Poiks wrote:
Hear, hear!
Me too. Call it the Off-Roading/Enviromental Party... :lol:

To me, the lesser of two evils won this time. I know this great Country can do better... :P

Hope to see you at the POKER RUN this weekend at G... 8)

Agree with all three of you!!!!! :wink:
L&L

Glamis NOR
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Glamis NOR »

I am really sad that Boxer has won again. Deep inside I knew that Jones did not have a chance, but I stayed positive. Boxer is more of an enemy to us than anyone.

Maybe I missed something, but I can’t understand how those of you that love this sport so much can support Kerry. It is hard enough to keep the land we require for our sport with the Bush administration, I can’t imagine what the fight would turn into with Kerry in office. I noticed an off road truck (flared fenders and mudders) with several Bush bashing bumper stickers. Do these people not realize what they are doing? My wife asked me if motorcycle riding in the desert was the only reason I vote the way I do, and my answer was not completely but it plays a large role in the decisions I make. She did vote for Bush and I told her to vote her conscience.

The only thing that I can assume is that those Kerry supporters have stronger convictions in other areas and are willing to give up this sport for other causes. If that is the case, then I understand. I guess that there are other things more important than flying through the sand or dirt, but I must have too much sand in my eyes because I can’t see it! Someday when my motorcycles are valued at zero because there is no place to ride them, I’ll just have a bon fire in front of my house in a final protest. I hope that day never comes.

Poiks

Post by Poiks »

Glamis NOR wrote:I am really sad that Boxer has won again. Deep inside I knew that Jones did not have a chance, but I stayed positive. Boxer is more of an enemy to us than anyone.
I agree. I voted against her.
Glamis NOR wrote:The only thing that I can assume is that those Kerry supporters have stronger convictions in other areas and are willing to give up this sport for other causes. If that is the case, then I understand. I guess that there are other things more important than flying through the sand or dirt, but I must have too much sand in my eyes because I can’t see it! Someday when my motorcycles are valued at zero because there is no place to ride them, I’ll just have a bon fire in front of my house in a final protest. I hope that day never comes.
I think that's true, but I think many of us also don't believe that a Kerry presidency would have impacted the dunes. We saw the dunes survive Clinton and Babbitt, for example.

If I had been forced to choose between a John Kerry who announced that he'd close federal land to off-roading and George Bush, it would have been a much harder choice. Realistically, I'd have voted for Bush under those circumstances, but with a much heavier heart than I had yesterday voting for Kerry.

L&L Corvairs
ASA Board Member
ASA Board Member

Post by L&L Corvairs »

Jon,

Going to respectfully disagree on this one:
I think that's true, but I think many of us also don't believe that a Kerry presidency would have impacted the dunes. We saw the dunes survive Clinton and Babbitt, for example.

Our dunes got CLOSED in 2000, after the greenies got that plant on the ESL, in 1998. Bush didn’t take office till 2001. While the president doesn’t have a direct connection/effect, his DOI appointments DO. Babbitt was bad for pro-access people.

I also beleive that IF Kerry were president and a repulican controled Congress passed meaningfull ESA reform, he would have vetoed it. There aren't enough Rep votes to overturen a Presidential Veto.

JMO
L&L

Poiks

Post by Poiks »

L&L,
You could be right...now we'll never know. :D

I can only say that I was not a Kerry supporter, but rather a Bush detractor who felt strongly enough to risk it.

Also having second thoughts about the electoral college after this election. It's strange to have a candidate "win" your state, but then have that "winning" candidate lose the election. It feels like my vote was irrelevant.

MattV

Post by MattV »

The electoral college and the bi-camaral legislative branch are the two things that seperate us from the two most dangerous forms of government. Despotism and pure Democracy.

The best description I have ever heard of democracy is Benjamin Franklin's. "Democracy is two wolves and sheep deciding what to have for dinner."

The purpose of the electoral college is to protect those of us who live in states with lesser population from living under the dictates of those who live in more populated places. It allows us to take into account that people living in places like Montana and Arizona may have different priorities than those who live in the urbanized areas of California.

The authors of our constitution were incredibly smart people. They somehow managed to cover nearly every conceivable situation that could create crisis for our republic. I just don't think fiddling with it is an altogether wise thing to do.

Look at the county by county mao at http://www.hannity.com

It will demostrate why so many of us are thankful for the electoral college and maybe cast a little doubt on your assumptions about Michigan, and many other areas.

Matt
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

MattV wrote:The electoral college and the bi-camaral legislative branch are the two things that seperate us from the two most dangerous forms of government. Despotism and pure Democracy.

The best description I have ever heard of democracy is Benjamin Franklin's. "Democracy is two wolves and sheep deciding what to have for dinner."

The purpose of the electoral college is to protect those of us who live in states with lesser population from living under the dictates of those who live in more populated places. It allows us to take into account that people living in places like Montana and Arizona may have different priorities than those who live in the urbanized areas of California.

The authors of our constitution were incredibly smart people. They somehow managed to cover nearly every conceivable situation that could create crisis for our republic. I just don't think fiddling with it is an altogether wise thing to do.

Look at the county by county mao at http://www.hannity.com

It will demostrate why so many of us are thankful for the electoral college and maybe cast a little doubt on your assumptions about Michigan, and many other areas.

Matt
Here it is:

Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Interesting that Imperial County, just across the river from me and with all those farmers, went to Kerry.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

To put it gently....I have to wonder if CA had something like prop200 that just passed here in AZ I wonder if Imperial would have had a different result. Based on what the democratic leaders in Imperial have been saying in the IV Press lately and the whole voter registration mess they had over there.

It's not the farmers voting democratic from what the news over there sounds like.

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

jhitesma wrote:It's not the farmers voting democratic from what the news over there sounds like.
I know what you're saying, and you're probably right. It was probably a lot of the people working for the farmers, or those that aren't working. I think their unemployment is worse than ours, and ours is bad.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

FunRunner

Post by FunRunner »

As President Bush keeps pointing out, it is small businesses that fuel the economy and create most of the new jobs. Most are sole proprietors or chapter S Corps. There are opportunities in every community, and it is the entrepenuers who will find them and create the jobs. Those without that ability, will benefit from the jobs created by the new community risk takers.

Glamisman
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Glamisman »

Mattv has the correct idea about the electoral college ... btw, they will meet on December 13, 2004 and actually elect the next President.

Return to “Political Discussions Only”