Oduma

This forum is for the discussion of topics of political nature that affect the duning community.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Oduma

Post by HSSC »

O.K. Obama is the point man and he owns the house of representatives. The democrates are a heart beat of owning the senate.

What are they going to do to help us reopen the 49,000 acres of "tempory closed dunes" :?:
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Oduma

Post by Dunepilot »

Is it too early for a report card? I'll be generous and give him a "F" "They" said he was the "Saviour"....have we been saved yet? I hadn't noticed..... :!:

A Checklist Of Obama's Many Promises
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 4:20 PM PT

Few presidential candidates have made more specific promises to American voters than Barack Obama. They came so fast and furious in the latter part of the campaign, you'd be excused for not keeping up. So as a public service, we've put together a handy checklist of some of the biggest Obama promises — culled from his "Blueprint for Change," his campaign speeches and advertisements. Clip it. Save it. And see how he did in four years.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticle ... 2244872396

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Taxes

• Give a tax break to 95% of Americans.

• Restore Clinton-era tax rates on top income earners.

• "If you make under $250,000, you will not see your taxes increase by a single dime. Not your income taxes, not your payroll taxes, not your capital gains taxes. Nothing."

• Dramatically simplify tax filings so that millions of Americans will be able to do their taxes in less than five minutes.

• Give American businesses a $3,000 tax credit for every job they create in the U.S.

• Eliminate capital gains taxes for small business and startup companies.

• Eliminate income taxes for seniors making under $50,000.

• Expand the child and dependent care tax credit.

• Expand the earned income tax credit.

• Create a universal mortgage credit.

• Create a small business health tax credit.

• Provide a $500 "make work pay" tax credit to small businesses.

• Provide a $1,000 emergency energy rebate to families.

Energy

• Spend $15 billion a year on renewable sources of energy.

• Eliminate oil imports from the Middle East in 10 years.

• Increase fuel economy standards by 4% a year.

• Weatherize 1 million homes annually.

• Ensure that 10% of our electricity comes from renewable sources by 2012.

Environment

• Create 5 million green jobs.

• Implement a cap-and-trade program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

• Get 1 million plug-in hybrids on the road by 2015.

Labor

• Sign a fair pay restoration act, which would overturn the Supreme Court's pay discrimination ruling.

• Sign into law an employee free choice act — aka card check — to make it easier for unions to organize.

• Make employers offer seven paid sick days per year.

• Increase the minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by 2009.

National security

• Remove troops from Iraq by the summer of 2010.

• Cut spending on unproven missile defense systems.

• No more homeless veterans.

• Stop spending $10 billion a month in Iraq.

• Finish the fight against Osama bin Laden and the al-Qaida terrorists.

Social Security

• Work in a "bipartisan way to preserve Social Security for future generations."

• Impose a Social Security payroll tax on incomes above $250,000.

• Match 50% of retirement savings up to $1,000 for families earning less than $75,000.

Education

• Demand higher standards and more accountability from our teachers.

Spending

• Go through the budget, line by line, ending programs we don't need and making the ones we do need work better and cost less.

• Slash earmarks.

Health care

• Lower health care costs for the typical family by $2,500 a year.

• Let the uninsured get the same kind of health insurance that members of Congress get.

• Stop insurance companies from discriminating against those who are sick and need care the most.

• Spend $10 billion over five years on health care information technology.
DunePilot

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound »

Dunepilot wrote:Is it too early for a report card? I'll be generous and give him a "F" "They" said he was the "Saviour"....have we been saved yet? I hadn't noticed..... :!:

A Checklist Of Obama's Many Promises
By INVESTOR'S BUSINESS DAILY | Posted Monday, November 10, 2008 4:20 PM PT

Few presidential candidates have made more specific promises to American voters than Barack Obama. They came so fast and furious in the latter part of the campaign, you'd be excused for not keeping up. So as a public service, we've put together a handy checklist of some of the biggest Obama promises — culled from his "Blueprint for Change," his campaign speeches and advertisements. Clip it. Save it. And see how he did in four years.

http://www.ibdeditorials.com/IBDArticle ... 2244872396

Taxes

• Give a tax break to 95% of Americans.

• Restore Clinton-era tax rates on top income earners.

• "If you make under $250,000, you will not see your taxes increase by a single dime. Not your income taxes, not your payroll taxes, not your capital gains taxes. Nothing."

• Dramatically simplify tax filings so that millions of Americans will be able to do their taxes in less than five minutes.

• Give American businesses a $3,000 tax credit for every job they create in the U.S.

• Eliminate capital gains taxes for small business and startup companies.

• Eliminate income taxes for seniors making under $50,000.

• Expand the child and dependent care tax credit.

• Expand the earned income tax credit.

• Create a universal mortgage credit.

• Create a small business health tax credit.

• Provide a $500 "make work pay" tax credit to small businesses.

• Provide a $1,000 emergency energy rebate to families.

Energy

• Spend $15 billion a year on renewable sources of energy.

• Eliminate oil imports from the Middle East in 10 years.

• Increase fuel economy standards by 4% a year.

• Weatherize 1 million homes annually.

• Ensure that 10% of our electricity comes from renewable sources by 2012.

Environment

• Create 5 million green jobs.

• Implement a cap-and-trade program to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

• Get 1 million plug-in hybrids on the road by 2015.

Labor

• Sign a fair pay restoration act, which would overturn the Supreme Court's pay discrimination ruling.

• Sign into law an employee free choice act — aka card check — to make it easier for unions to organize.

• Make employers offer seven paid sick days per year.

• Increase the minimum wage to $9.50 an hour by 2009.

National security

• Remove troops from Iraq by the summer of 2010.

• Cut spending on unproven missile defense systems.

• No more homeless veterans.

• Stop spending $10 billion a month in Iraq.

• Finish the fight against Osama bin Laden and the al-Qaida terrorists.

Social Security

• Work in a "bipartisan way to preserve Social Security for future generations."

• Impose a Social Security payroll tax on incomes above $250,000.

• Match 50% of retirement savings up to $1,000 for families earning less than $75,000.

Education

• Demand higher standards and more accountability from our teachers.

Spending

• Go through the budget, line by line, ending programs we don't need and making the ones we do need work better and cost less.

• Slash earmarks.

Health care

• Lower health care costs for the typical family by $2,500 a year.

• Let the uninsured get the same kind of health insurance that members of Congress get.

• Stop insurance companies from discriminating against those who are sick and need care the most.

• Spend $10 billion over five years on health care information technology.
Dang, I'm a pretty tough opponent, but he has only been in office one week. Nobody gets anything done in Washington in one week.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

HSSC wrote:O.K. Obama is the point man and he owns the house of representatives. The democrates are a heart beat of owning the senate.

What are they going to do to help us reopen the 49,000 acres of "tempory closed dunes" :?:
Easy answer...and you can thank everyone that voted for him....ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. We all know our battle to keep riding areas open is going to be even tougher than it was with the new administration.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dunepilot »

Dang, I'm a pretty tough opponent, but he has only been in office one week. Nobody gets anything done in Washington in one week.
Ok, point taken, I will generously change his grade to a "F+" It's better than just an "F" right?

Tomorrow is pay day, wonder if my taxes went down? They ought too, he did promise they would....
Taxes • Give a tax break to 95% of Americans.
DunePilot

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

I got my paycheck yesterday. Everything is the same as the weeks/years before. I didn't get a raise of any kind.

This guy is going to be the absolute WORST president we've ever had, bar none. Shoot! He already is. :evil: :evil:

Beware of the first 100 days. That #^&#&&*$@&)(^%) pelosi is staying near him.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Washroad wrote:This guy is going to be the absolute WORST president we've ever had, bar none. .
I didn't vote for this guy, just like I didn't vote for ANY of the presidents we've had since I was 18. I wonder though, Brian why you say hes gonna be the worst president we ever had? I tink the worst president we ever had just left. In fact the ONLY reason I'm happy this guy (as Mc Cain put it) is in office is because that means Bush is no longer there.

I mean how much worse can it get with this guy, then the one before him...or the one before him?

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

crash

Post by crash »

Just watch Slop.....and you will likely find out.

All I can say is, I hope Obama doesn't have to deal with half the huge issues that George W had to deal with. I didn't agree with alot of Bush's policies, but this guys policies are just down right frightening.

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

I can tell you this is the first time in my life I have been scared about my future. This guy does scare me. I really dont know what the american public is thinking this guy can do to make our lives better by spending money on programs we simply dont have. Where does he expect to get the money for all this? People are losing jobs businesses are folding or severly scaling down. Just how in the heck can you possibly find the hundreds of billions to do these programs?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla »

gelwell wrote:I can tell you this is the first time in my life I have been scared about my future. This guy does scare me. I really dont know what the american public is thinking this guy can do to make our lives better by spending money on programs we simply dont have. Where does he expect to get the money for all this? People are losing jobs businesses are folding or severly scaling down. Just how in the heck can you possibly find the hundreds of billions to do these programs?

Apparently the same way our last President found a trillion dollars to invade Iraq, at least this guy intends to spend most of it here, well that's what he says, I'm not holding my breath. The former Pres claims he spent 32 BILLION in Afghanistan alone, how's that sit with you? Yeah I know, Bush is gone, but spending money here is a good thing, after all, I'd rather see a road built HERE, rather than THERE, a school built HERE, etc......................
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

ChuckZilla wrote: The former Pres claims he spent 32 BILLION in Afghanistan alone, how's that sit with you? Yeah I know, Bush is gone, but spending money here is a good thing, after all, I'd rather see a road built HERE, rather than THERE, a school built HERE, etc......................
That's not 32 BILLION spent IN Afghanistan. That's 32 BIILLION fought fighting in Afghanistan.

Big difference.

Just ask anyone who works for a defense contractor or supplier if you need it spelled out for you. The bulk of that money gets spent with American firms. Yes, there are some contracts that sometimes go to companies from friendly nations, but the vast majority of military spending is done in our own country.

I always wonder why people try to portray money spent on defense and war as money that's "Lost". Yeah, it's no longer in the governments coffers, but that doesn't mean it leaves the country. The gov doesn't get their ammo for free, or their tanks, or their food - or anything else. It's all bought on the open market and as long as American companies remain competitive that means most of that money comes back into American pockets.

ChuckZilla
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by ChuckZilla »

jhitesma wrote:
ChuckZilla wrote: The former Pres claims he spent 32 BILLION in Afghanistan alone, how's that sit with you? Yeah I know, Bush is gone, but spending money here is a good thing, after all, I'd rather see a road built HERE, rather than THERE, a school built HERE, etc......................
That's not 32 BILLION spent IN Afghanistan. That's 32 BIILLION fought fighting in Afghanistan.

Big difference.

Just ask anyone who works for a defense contractor or supplier if you need it spelled out for you. The bulk of that money gets spent with American firms. Yes, there are some contracts that sometimes go to companies from friendly nations, but the vast majority of military spending is done in our own country.

I always wonder why people try to portray money spent on defense and war as money that's "Lost". Yeah, it's no longer in the governments coffers, but that doesn't mean it leaves the country. The gov doesn't get their ammo for free, or their tanks, or their food - or anything else. It's all bought on the open market and as long as American companies remain competitive that means most of that money comes back into American pockets.

Yeah, well I've been a machinist for 12 years waiting for that big ad in the paper looking for machinists to make weaponry, it never came. You would think 1.3 trillion would have shown up somewhere in my field, in my area (So Cal) but I got nada! Besides, would it really cost 32 bill to handle a rat flip place like Afghanistan?
ASA
CORVA
SDORC
Never ride alone
GPS, money well spent
If you leave trash, you are trash

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Sloppyduner wrote:
Washroad wrote:This guy is going to be the absolute WORST president we've ever had, bar none. .
I mean how much worse can it get with this guy, then the one before him...or the one before him?
There you have it. Your own argument. They just get progressively worse.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

ChuckZilla wrote:
jhitesma wrote:

Big difference.

Yeah, well I've been a machinist for 12 years waiting for that big ad in the paper looking for machinists to make weaponry, it never came. You would think 1.3 trillion would have shown up somewhere in my field, in my area (So Cal) but I got nada! Besides, would it really cost 32 bill to handle a rat flip place like Afghanistan?
At the cost of things now, yes.

Afghanistan has a history of many wars and the thing is, no one has been able to conquer them.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

ChuckZilla wrote: Apparently the same way our last President found a trillion dollars to invade Iraq, at least this guy intends to spend most of it here, well that's what he says, I'm not holding my breath. The former Pres claims he spent 32 BILLION in Afghanistan alone, how's that sit with you? Yeah I know, Bush is gone, but spending money here is a good thing, after all, I'd rather see a road built HERE, rather than THERE, a school built HERE, etc......................
I would like to see money spent here on improving the infrastructure, sure. What I don't want to see is money being spent on bailing out mortgage companies, etc. They can die for all I care.

The thing is, we have too much govmint. Way too much. Every administration grows the govmint. At what point, is the govmint so big that it's bigger than the private sector (where I am employed) that supports it? The obamanation will grow the govmint. You know he will.

Another thing, look at his cabinet. Clinton recycled. He's buddies with that fraudulent liar al bore. He's gone green and since they voted for him he's gonna help them. That means he's against US!

He thinks he can negotiate with middle east leaders. wtf??? That's crazy but people bought into it.

This, by no means, means W was a good prez. He could've been, but he wasn't.

McCain would not have been good either. The obamanation and McCain were basically it for choices. We were doomed from the get-go.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

The thing with the govmint spending money on the infrastructure....

remember history.

FDR tried it and it didn't work. The US remained in a depression until WWII started. Went into another recession when the war ended. Started to pull out of it when the Korean War started. We didn't really have a good economy until the 50s when Eisenhower was in office.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

alyshka
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by alyshka »

Washroad wrote:The thing with the govmint spending money on the infrastructure....

remember history.

FDR tried it and it didn't work. The US remained in a depression until WWII started. Went into another recession when the war ended. Started to pull out of it when the Korean War started. We didn't really have a good economy until the 50s when Eisenhower was in office.
but FDR couldn't print the money we were on the gold standerd
check out this talk about OUT OF CONTROL

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html ... d=playlist
Robert Hancock
"The task that has fallen to us as Americans is to keep alive the hope and dream of freedom"
Ronald Reagan
alyshka r.i.p. 1987-2004
Alyshka's Photos

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

alyshka wrote:
but FDR couldn't print the money we were on the gold standerd
check out this talk about OUT OF CONTROL

http://www.foxnews.com/video/index.html ... d=playlist
That link (piece) cuts out about 1:45 into it. :evil:

...But no president can print money thats up to the treasury department, who has to go through congress.
Again like most things, Why didn't Regan, Bush, Clinton, or Bush push to put us back on the Gold standard?

If memory serves me right the last Bush "borrowed" Billions from China. Obama inherited THAT debt. Where were these "gold standards...Hey you can't do that because of inflation..." people(Fox News) then? Fricken hypocrites.

Under this way of thinking it would be perfectly correct to blame Obama for the color of the white house. OH MY GOD...THAT HOUSE IS WHITE!!! How could that man allow that house to be white?

Um it was that way when he moved in. "...Well he better fix it!!!"
#-o

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

Now there is talk, Oduma wants to appoint a Republican Senator to his cabinet. Here's the real story. This senator comes from a state that has a Democratic Governor. What does this really mean? :shock: :shock:

Does anyone think this governor is going to appoint another Republican to this vacated seat? [-X

If you think so, you must be packing the pipe really full. :roll: =D> [-o<

No, we will get another Democrate in the senate. [-X

Now here's everyone's homework assignment, what happens to the Senate :?:
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Sloppyduner wrote:
That link (piece) cuts out about 1:45 into it. :evil:

...But no president can print money thats up to the treasury department, who has to go through congress.
That's being done. Already passed one house of congress, now going to the other to be modified and voted on.
Sloppyduner wrote: Again like most things, Why didn't Regan, Bush, Clinton, or Bush push to put us back on the Gold standard?

If memory serves me right the last Bush "borrowed" Billions from China. Obama inherited THAT debt. Where were these "gold standards...Hey you can't do that because of inflation..." people(Fox News) then? Fricken hypocrites.

Under this way of thinking it would be perfectly correct to blame Obama for the color of the white house. OH MY GOD...THAT HOUSE IS WHITE!!! How could that man allow that house to be white?

Um it was that way when he moved in. "...Well he better fix it!!!"
#-o
I'm not gonna blame ramalama for the mess Bush left. Even as much as I dislike ramalama, gotta give credit/blame where it's due. But, is the economy really under any control of the president? Really? If it is, we should be electing accountants/financial advisors instead of freakin' lawyers.

(I'm gonna look up the gold standard as I'm not versed enough to comment on it.)
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Washroad wrote: But, is the economy really under any control of the president?

I would say its proven that a president could control the economy in a negitive way. And just because you can screwomething up doesn't mean you can fix it again. Ask my Dad when it came to our lawn mower I decided to take apart to see how it worked for example.
Washroad wrote: (I'm gonna look up the gold standard as I'm not versed enough to comment on it.)
I gotta do this too. If I were on a game show and they asked if America was on the gold standard I would have answered yes. :( What I want to learn is how gold, along with most other metals, seem to do so well when the market in general is in the tank.

marktree
1st Gear Member

nobama

Post by marktree »

were in deep do do now what is wrong with this country when we vote a muslim president oh i forgot hes black im black so lets vote black stupid asses

MattV

Post by MattV »

Washroad wrote: (I'm gonna look up the gold standard as I'm not versed enough to comment on it.)
I gotta do this too. If I were on a game show and they asked if America was on the gold standard I would have answered yes. :( What I want to learn is how gold, along with most other metals, seem to do so well when the market in general is in the tank.[/quote]

Because the value of a particular commodity is inversely proportional to the currency with which you pay for it. This is one of the primary forces behind the rise in gold prices.

I'm sure you've heard all the gold commercials talking about how gold "should have" increased to about $2000/ounce, but hasn't yet so you should by now. What this tells me is that gold has not kept pace with inflation and may not be the best investment for growth. It may however, be a good hedge, as it tends to retain value relative to cash.
Water is just beer that hasn't reached its full potential.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

I think you are right Matt, it could be a hedge during financial crisis and it tends to holds its value. The Russians realize this and want to the gold standard back again, i.e. they want to make the US weak economically. There was story a moth or two back where they were trying to work Hugo Chavez to mine and ship the gold to Russia. Also, with having the dollar as the standard it makes it easier for the US mint to print money. In the present it will sooner or later, IMO, lead to inflation. In the long run, the future generations are going to have to pay for this :twisted: This past stimulus package has a value of more that the Iraq and Afghan Wars combined and it is full of pork, i.e. it is not a stimulus plan but a SPENDING plan. Again, Americans are to stupid to know the difference. The SPENDING plan is not going to put Americans back to work. Look at the tax credit/welfare checks for $500 single/$1000 couple for people that do not pay federal income taxes ](*,) Yep our kids, grand children, and future generations will be paying for this scam. As President Obama stated "we won." Go for it. Americans are shortsighted and the House and Senate Dems will not be able to benefit from the Prez's coat tails in two years when this situation is perpetuated. The Prez is already trying to dumb us down by saying this is going to take longer that most tend to believe. I kinda figured it would when he was spreading all this HOPE in peoples head.

I would say that Prez Bush has some major blame in all of this. One, for not being more forceful back in 2005 on Congress to reign in Fanny and Freddy and Two) for putting that moron Paulson as Treasury Secretary. The history of culpability is there in sharing Dems sharing the blame.

Thank you President Bush for your due diligence for keeping this country free from attacks after 9/11.

I hope and pray that President Obama serves our country well. The report card is not out yet, but some of the executive orders that he has implemented and his foreign policy decisions leaves me to be a little concerned.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Re: nobama

Post by Sloppyduner »

marktree wrote:were in deep do do now what is wrong with this country when we vote a muslim president oh i forgot hes black im black so lets vote black stupid asses
Our president is as white as he is black. So in truth were only half way to electing a black president. Once again though, and because it makes me VERY happy... at least hes not Bush. =D>

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

HSSC wrote:Now there is talk, Oduma wants to appoint a Republican Senator to his cabinet. Here's the real story. This senator comes from a state that has a Democratic Governor. What does this really mean? :shock: :shock:

Does anyone think this governor is going to appoint another Republican to this vacated seat? [-X

If you think so, you must be packing the pipe really full. :roll: =D> [-o<

No, we will get another Democrate in the senate. [-X

Now here's everyone's homework assignment, what happens to the Senate :?:
If this democrat governor selects a democrat to replace the republican senator, then the democrats get a 2/3 majority of the senate and can override filibusters by republicans. They can also basically ram all their liberal crap down our throats and slowly kill us.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

If you would like to learn about the history of money in detail, there is an excellent site called A Comparative Chronology of Money which details the important places and dates in monetary history. During most of the 1800s the United States was had a bimetallic system of money, however it was essentially on a gold standard as very little silver was traded. A true gold standard came to fruition in 1900 with the passage of the Gold Standard Act. The gold standard effectively came to an end in 1933 when President Franklin D. Roosevelt outlawed private gold ownership (except for the purposes of jewelery). The Bretton Woods System, enacted in 1946 created a system of fixed exchange rates that allowed governments to sell their gold to the United States treasury at the price of $35/ounce. "The Bretton Woods system ended on August 15, 1971, when President Richard Nixon ended trading of gold at the fixed price of $35/ounce. At that point for the first time in history, formal links between the major world currencies and real commodities were severed". The gold standard has not been used in any major economy since that time.

What Do We Use Today?
Almost every country, including the United States, is on a system of fiat money, which the glossary defines as "money that is intrinsically useless; is used only as a medium of exchange". We saw in the article "Why Does Money Have Value" that the value of money is set by the supply and demand for money and the supply and demand for other goods and services in the economy. The prices for those goods and services, including gold and silver, are allowed to fluctuate based on market forces. Next we'll look at how the monetary system used can change other variables in the economy.

So, it looks like FDR is the one that got into the idea of printing money. Remember, he was elected to a 4th term (this was before term limits) and he was president for about 13 years and was still in office during WWII (Truman finished his last term).
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

MattV

Post by MattV »

Honestly, I don't think that coming off of the gold standard was entirely bad. The problem with using a commodity backed currency is that it has limited value. In other words, the value of material goods and services could easily exceed the value of the total amount of gold held in reserve. I highly doubt that at this point in time there is enough precious metal in the entire world to equal the value of the goods and services within our nation's economy, let alone that of the entire world.

As for Obama's fiscal policy, I think it's quite dangerous. The best course of action would be for the US government to take a more hands off approach and reduce impediments to economic growth, such as the second highest corporate tax rate in the world, and an ever increasing array of regulations. Take for example the recent decisions on vehicle fuel economy. Nothing stifles a company's growth like forcing it make things people don't want to buy. Another solution would be to eliminate capital gains taxes, and reduce personal income taxes. It is also an excellent opportunity to reduce the size and scope of the federal government and get it out of the many places it does not belong. Obama seems more interested in controlling what I do in my free time, than he does in the health of the US economy.

I do not see Obama being "not-Bush" as any kind of qualification for president. As I see it, Bush is one of about 4 world leaders who recognized a threat for what it is and took appropriate action. I don't think that he was aggressive enough in changing social security and giving permanency and expansion to his tax reductions. I also think that he should have taken a more aggressive stance on earmarks and other wasteful spending much sooner than he did. As it stands right now, I cannot think of anything that Obama has promised to do that I can support.

Rick Bowen
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Rick Bowen »

Site trying to keep track of campain promises:
http://politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/
Milkvetch.... It's not just for breakfast anymore.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

Something funny just hit me. What I hear a few of you saying is that the presidents should lessen the involvement of government in economics? Some of you though toss in what should be done to go along with it. If Obama did what some of you are saying his speech or news clip would be..."I think the best thing for the country is for the government to not do anything at this time."

I bet Mc Cain would have won if he promised to do nothing when it came to the economy.

:lol:

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

See anything that can/ought to be cut, just looking at the first page??

http://www.usa.gov/Agencies/Federal/All ... ndex.shtml
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

O.K. We will start will political science 101. A filibuster, in the United States Senate, is when a minority party ( Republicans) can use extreme stalling measure's to prevent action on, or to delay action on, legislation. It take's 41 Senators, per senate rules.

If the Senate were to end up with 60 Democrates

OOOOOOKKKKKKKKK This subject calls for a new TOPIC to be started. Drifting, Drifting, .......Drifting,..............Drifting,.................goone....
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

MattV

Post by MattV »

Sloppyduner wrote:Something funny just hit me. What I hear a few of you saying is that the presidents should lessen the involvement of government in economics? Some of you though toss in what should be done to go along with it. If Obama did what some of you are saying his speech or news clip would be..."I think the best thing for the country is for the government to not do anything at this time."

I bet Mc Cain would have won if he promised to do nothing when it came to the economy.

:lol:

It would have made me feel better about voting for him. Economies, like most other things on the planet seem to run in cycles. Recession naturally follows periods of growth. The things government does can easily prolong, or worsen, these cycles. The best thing for a slow economy is to make sure that people and businesses have money to spend. The best way to accomplish that is not to take it from them in the first place. The other problem is that changing the rules is generally bad. People and businesses eventually adjust to living under a certain set rules, be they tax code or regulation. Problems are compounded by changing the rules as it requires everyone to readjust. When the rules change your top marginal rate from 33 to 38 percent, or eliminate you mortgage deduction, (things which the President has advocated at one time or another) The adjustment can really hurt.

The biggest problem we have right now is that no one knows how things are going to end up. If our leaders would stop messing with things, we would at minimum know what to expect and be able to plan for it. As it is now, it's a great mystery and there's no way to make sound decisions.

MattV

Post by MattV »

HSSC wrote:
OOOOOOKKKKKKKKK This subject calls for a new TOPIC to be started. Drifting, Drifting, .......Drifting,..............Drifting,.................goone....
Woo Hooo! Drifting is fun. Lock the rear wheels and crank the wheel!

Oh. Sorry. Wrong kind of drifting...

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

Drifting is what dunning is all about. Brakes, who needs brakes, I rarely use the brakes. :shock: Only when I load the buggy into the trailer, I'll use the brakes just before I run into the galley/cabinets. [-X

This topic is going ......going............gone................

P.S. Something about Oduma and open dunes........... :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...... :x ............. :cry:
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Sloppyduner wrote: If Obama did what some of you are saying his speech or news clip would be..."I think the best thing for the country is for the government to not do anything at this time."
I know I'm kinda quoting you out of context.

But that quote is what I want.

Here's how I see the bailout....

Scenario #1

It works, people go back to work, economy flourishes, everyone's happy. If this happens, big govmint will be here for a long time. I know the slippery-slope argument here is that it's the road to socialism, but I believe that's it. Govmint will know what is best for you, and force it on you. (This BS is already happening.... think California and governor Shriver....think how ramalama is helping to shove the car emissions standards and fuel mileage for California only on auto makers at a time like this when they're already broke.....gotta go green.....check all the building codes and that crap.....tried to buy a incandesent light bulb lately? gotta get one of those pos flourecents that you can't put on dimmer switches.....how about the solar panels for your house that use more energy to produce/transport/install than they'll ever produce?) Yeah, I look forward to not being able to go to the dunes, fill my motorhome up with the most effiecient fuel (gasoline!) and take a trip, the taxes I'll have to pay to own one. Oh yeah, the bigger the govmint, the bigger chunk of my money they will take (as if I don't pay enough already!) to pay for more govmint.....ad infitum.....ad nauseum.

Scenario #2

It fails. We have a major depression, sorta like the one we had back in the 1930s. Unemployment of 30%, govmint programs that can't be paid for, total collapse of the economy, private business is all but gone. Ramalama loses his bid for reelection (which would be a good thing.) Homeless people hit the highways looking for a living in mass numbers.

Either way, we, the American public, get screwed.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

Sloppyduner wrote:
I didn't vote for this guy, just like I didn't vote for ANY of the presidents we've had since I was 18. I wonder though, Brian why you say hes gonna be the worst president we ever had? I tink the worst president we ever had just left. In fact the ONLY reason I'm happy this guy (as Mc Cain put it) is in office is because that means Bush is no longer there.

Well here it is, from his own mouth and I was wrong.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Return to “Political Discussions Only”