9.4 million acres in Utah, including Moab threatened again

This forum is for the discussion of topics of political nature that affect the duning community.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Rekd
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

9.4 million acres in Utah, including Moab threatened again

Post by Rekd »

With Zero Support From Utah, N.Y. Rep Tries To Circumvent Congress to Close 9.4 Million Acres in Utah
Thursday November 12, 2009

Rep. Maurice Hinchey, Democrat from New York, is trying to by-pass the congressional debate of H.R. 1925, which would close over 9 million acres in Utah to OHVs. Since he failed miserably in trying to get ANY representative from Utah to back him in his land grab, he has resorted to asking Interior Secretary Ken Salazar to use his administrative powers to close those lands without debate and without approval from the very state that would be affected.

If enacted, this bill would close the designated areas to all activity including OHVs, bicycles and horses. This includes Moab, one of THE places to offroad, hike and ride horses.

To make things worse, much of the land that is covered in this bill does not comply with the requirements to create such a wilderness designation. According to the Wilderness Act of 1964, Wilderness can only apply to lands 'retaining its primeval character and influence, without permanent improvements or human habitation.'

This closure would be on top of the 2 million acres already closed, and would greatly damage the local economies that rely on the income from OHV recreation in these very popular places. It is my opinion that there is a clear and concise effort to destroy the financial livelihood of Utah. The AMA is urging all offroaders, equines and bicyclists to join together and make their voices heard by contacting the powers that be and telling them to Leave Utah Alone!

Read the letter that Hinchey and 88 other representatives sent to try to force the closure of MOAB without going through the proper channels.
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Re: 9.4 million acres in Utah, including Moab threatened again

Post by HSSC »

This is over the top stuff. I think we meed to find a bug that lives in NYC and close that place down because it is a leach that is one of a kind that can't survive among all those other leaches.
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Rekd

Post by Rekd »

It's scary. They're getting very brave because they've got all the power and feel they're untouchable. To a large degree, they are.

Who's going to call them on their BS?

The MSM? Newp.
Congress? Newp.
The POTUS? HA! Newp.
All that's left to achieve balance is talk radio, and they're on their way out too.
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Sandcock »

I think read something on this a while back, e.g. Rep. Maurice Hinchey trying to close this land off. I believe it was brought to the forefront by the BRC, but in my research I can't find it. I'm sure they are on top of it though.

I heard a Town Hall with Rep Filner on the Rick Roberts Show. It was about the Healthcare scam. People were calling in mad as "h" "e" double hockey sticks. Then this clown Filner) has the arrogance and gall to start asking the callers if they were in his district, i.e. referencing that they had no right to question him because they were not his constituents. Of course that got the callers even more mad. My point with this story is that the pols vote on things that affect every American and then have the arrogance to gaff them off. If the pols want it that way then they should keep their noses out of other states and districts business. They are given (elected) the job to take care of their constituents. We as off-roaders should be compelled to call or contact Rep. Maurice Hinchey and rip him a new hole. Also, do what we can to help the one that will be running against him take his seat.
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Astro
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Astro »

We should see if our representatives are on the list of 88 with Hinchey to put them on notice. [-X After that a letter to Secretary Slazar might be a good idea :idea: My Democratic Repesentative said she couldn't support H.R. 1925 because it lacked local support, but I haven't checked her name against the list of 88 with Hinchey :| Use AMA's letter generator & make a letter your own & send it today :idea: I added my feelings about Representative Hinchey's attempt to make the 9.4 Acres in Utah a Defacto Wilderness by having Secretary Salazar adminstratively close it [-X Sound a little like the 49K temporary closure @ ISDRA :evil:

Astro 8)
"Just Ride!"

Return to “Political Discussions Only”