Camping spots? At the ISDRA The Why and the Where...

Plan trips, get togethers, hook up with new duners.

Moderators: GlamisSandDuner, Sitewide Forum Moderators

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Camping spots? At the ISDRA The Why and the Where...

Post by OBSESSED »

We have made seven trips to Glamis this season [since October first]
Christmas to New Years week... will be our eight trip.

We have camped in No order:
Wash 16 at edge to Wash 17 [so 16.9] on TG
Cement Flats [Last weekend and one other time]
Osborne Overlook [two weeks ago]
Pad 5 [first trip of year]
Wash 14 a couple of times

All camp spots have there plus+ and minus-

Where do you camp, if no one was there, where would you camp, if the weather was perfect, and just you and your buds were at Glamis where would you camp?

Do you camp at the same place each time? If so, how do you do it, or why do you do it?

Are you usually the first to get to the dunes and you try to save your friends space, or...
Do you let your friends get there and you take whatever space is left?

Everone has a reason for doing something [in this case camping at Glamis] what is your: where/ and why?

Maybe add your NEVER will I ever camp there again spot!
---------------------------------------------------------------
Pad 2.5 was 'my Pad' for about a year. Then the Closure happened... Also, the Cross rut traffic just got too me. To get to any dune, there is too much cross traffic [IMO] to get there from Pad 2.5 on a busy weekend. On an off weekend, it would be a 'fun' place to camp.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last weekend, I bought some wood at the last Gas stop in Brawley.
There was two larger Diesel Motorhomes getting fuel, we pulled out and these guys were BS'n...

They must of started to worry...

It was 12:30 am Thursday Night, I was doing about 65 mph on the 78...
Before I got to the left turn at the Cattle ranch, one passed me, and then another before Dune's Edge Ranch the second passed me. They were booking, I guess they were afraid I would take their favorite place on Gecko Road! [or something...]??!?

Where is your favorite place to camp?

Maybe it's the Brawley Inn?

Steve
-----------------------------------------------------------
We like to move around and experience the whole North ISDRA...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS where have I camped besides the above listed:

North of the 78 in the now closed area behind the Old Glamis store

North of the 78 by the Closure and RR tracks

DB Flats near the fence

DB Flats back near the trees

Every Pad on Gecko Hwy

Down by the Old Canal

Cement Flats

The cement pad Just East of the Canal, right of 78

Roadrunner &
Gecko loops

Washes 1-2-3-7-9-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-24
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Once the closure is lifted, Roadrunner on a mid week trip would be fun...
Dune out to Hill 4 [Lizard]
Then hit Hill 5 China Wall
Then The Wall
That's a daily dune ride when the AMA is put into place...
Don't fear death, celebrate life.
Live Every Day to the fullest.
Live your life with no regrets.

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Papa Perry »

I will camp anywhere as long as I am at Glamis.

Currently we camp in the Glamis Dunes.ComPound. It is behind the BeachStore. Fenced in and don't have to worry about the fast buggy drivers ripping by camp. Plus my kids insist on camping there. They have friends who camp there and enjoy themselves.

Up until now, we have mainly been West of the Canal, North of HWY 7 8. Very quiet. Soft, so RV's get stuck, but we liked it. Far from the dunes, but it was ok. The kid's just didn't have friends to hang with at night or between runs.

It was too dusty over New Years, so we will be back at the Canal next year.

Sloppyduner
CA Event Committee Chair
CA Event Committee Chair

Post by Sloppyduner »

When I first started going to Glamis we stayed WAY out on the West side of the aqueduct 6 miles(?) to the bridge, then three poles, turn into the bushes and there we were.
Quiet as could be.
Easy to find.
No one could speed around camp because there were bushes everywhere.

It was WAY too far away. My first "toy I had when I was out there was an 81 250R, bored out and had a bigger carb. I was lucky if I could make it to comp and back on a tank of gas.
A bigger problem with that site was the bees. Those thing got into EVERYTHING. Tents, ice chests, EVERY beverage you opened. Never got stung but they kept us on out toes.

Then we moved to Wash 10 for years after that. Then went to Wash 3 once, Wash 9 once, Wash 4 once, wash 12 too many times, Wash 15 once, Wash 16 is now home.

IF I could camp anywhere I'd would like to camp by the trees by Sand and Old Hwy ON AN OFF WEEKEND. I'd like to try Osbourne once. I'd also like to camp WAY back in the brushy area in the washes. Hoping it's more quiet there. Problem so far is the people I camp with have vehicles that can't get back into the washes that far.

I've never been the first to a place where I was suppose to meet people.

....and at the end of that light there is another tunnel

chuxdad
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by chuxdad »

My first trip was to Buttercup and Midway area back in the 80's. I loved the idea of riding into Mexico and back into the US, plus seeing those markers was cool- I was about 14 then and easily impressed. Found my way back to the dunes in 2003. Been to Gecko several times. Its crowded, its noisy and its a pain to drive into on busy weekends. But they have toilets (no T/H for me yet), is a straight shot to Olds, close to vendors row and the drags. Yeah, I love to waste time there watching all the high $$$ rigs sit and look pretty while the rest tear it up. I get in the mix too-dont get me wrong. Found Gordons last year and absoultely fell in love. Its much more closer for me now living in AZ and cuts 45 minutes from our drive, rather than having to drive to Gecko. Flat, easy access even with crowds, again close to vendors, drags, test/patton, diner and of course the TOILETS, yeah! The dunes are rather nice there and my son likes it. Ive never been to the washes, heck I still dont even know how to get into that area anyway. Always heard of nightmares of crazy drivers through camp, train horns, and the dust. I will find out for myself in March when I show up for the GTG. Im sure once im there I will like that area too. To me as long as there is sand under my feet, family and or friends around and a cold Dr. Pepper I am happy.
STEVE

2006 Ford F250 PSD 4x4
2007 Kawasaki KFX700
2006 Suzuki LTZ250
2002 Yamaha Raptor 686-built by KENZ
1983 Honda 185S
2003 Carson Racer

dune4d
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by dune4d »

I do everything in my power to stay away from Gecko. If I'm with a group that wants to camp there I either pass on the trip all together or camp in the washes and meet up with everyone at a neutral location.

Other than that, wash 16 seems to be the ticket.

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

In the early 90's we camped at the end of Roadrunner. Back then, wasn't ever a problem getting in anytime.

Tried wash 6 after that on a particuarly busy Thanksgiving weekend. Liked the fact that a large group could "circle the wagons" and keep the whole group in sight.

Left the group we were with and started with the group I am still camping with after 14 years. We used to camp in the "Wedge" behind Clean Jeans. Really liked it there. When they closed it we went to

wash 5 and then it got too crowded and we went to

wash 9 and it got too crowded and we went to

wash 12 and it got too crowded

and then wash 15 but it was way too soft so

we went to wash 16 which is about as far down as I can get the group most of the time and is "home" now. This wash is haunted so be careful if you go there.

We have gone to wash 40 (OK, 37-40) and really liked it but it was too far south for some people (the wimps in the group) so we only go there once-in-a-while.

Camped at Gecko and hated it. Way too crowded, too noisy, too torn up getting to dunes. You know, you see the people that spend all day going from camp to the the first dune and back. About a million times. About a million of them doing it? Drives me crazy.

Gecko on an off-off weekend is nice.

Our group once took up all of Keyhole. That was a cool spot but hard to get, usually fills early.

On an off-off-off weekend we camped at Vendor Row and no vendors were there. That is a great place to camp; right at the dunes, can see the train but not hear it, close to the store if you need anything. Holiday weekends I won't go near that place unless I have to.

First place I ever camped there was Clyde.

I've ridden to Gordons but never camped there. Never been to Buttercup.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Crowdog

Post by Crowdog »

I camp wherever there are cool people to dune with.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

I've ridden to Gordons but never camped there. Never been to Buttercup.
Oh yea, I camped at Gordons, and watched everyone [25%] get stuck in the soft sand. One guy was braggen 'how he never gets stuck' then he got stuck pulling out.

It was one of the clean up weekends.

I don't know how the count so many people at Gordons, the area looked to me the same size as Glamis' Wash 1-2-3 area...

Back on topic, all places at the ISDRA with sand in view are good... Right?

Steve
Last edited by OBSESSED on Sun Dec 24, 2006 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OBSESSED

Post by OBSESSED »

Crowdog wrote:I camp wherever there are cool people to dune with.
Right-right...
And a million thanks for that gigantic bottle of Vodka...
Cathy is putting it to real good use!

S

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Papa Perry »

OBSESSED wrote:
Crowdog wrote:I camp wherever there are cool people to dune with.
Right-right...
And a million thanks for that gigantic bottle of Vodka...
Cathy is putting it to real good use!

S
Hey John,

Remember I prefer Maker's Mark when you camp in the ComPound. I can find plenty of things to do with a good bottle.

The Dune Chef cooks better when he has had a few....

CYA soon I hope!

Dune Shredder
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Dune Shredder »

started at gecko to crowded so moved to wash 16 with the old crotchety group we love dearly.
If an endangerd spiecs eats another is it endangerd

f-BOB
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by f-BOB »

Wherever the wind takes us! Mostly washes 11-15, Roadrunner on off weekends (or during the week). Trying Gordon's for the first time next weekend. W'ell see what happens. I've heard that many people get stuck, but the group we're going with hasn't got stuck (yet). My luck says I'll be the first to do that, but what the heck, it's all part of the game, right?

I'm almost never the first one to camp, but we will save space for others (cones, not tape!) for the rest of our group becuase they do that for us.
If "pro" means yes, and "con" means no, is Congress the opposite of Progress?

'05-Raptor 660
'05-Raptor 350
'05 Banshee
'07 YFZ 450

Barley101
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by Barley101 »

I've only been going to the dunes for 3 years or so... I"ve tried just about everywhere...

Gordons' -- Liked it.. But a friend had an incident that required a free ride to the Yuma hospital for wrist surgery...

Buttercup -- It was a fun place to ride around... we had a good group.. and it was a novelty being right on the border... To far to get "around" to the drags, etc.. ( I like checking out the sweet rides I couldn't afford )

Ogilby -- Hated it! TOO FAR from the dunes!

Overall.. i prefer the North dunes to the south.. The southern dunes seem smaller and more technical... I prefer the wide open big bowl of the north..

Gecko-- First Glamis trip was to Gecko I like being right there for the drags! But it scares the be-jesus out of me riding to the dunes from the road... all the cross-traffic!

Washes 10-12 normally -- my preference.. now that my group has made our travels... I think we'll settle back into the Washes.. I like being fairly close to Vendors for a quick bite when I'm too lazy to cook... (most the time)... Easy access to the hills/areas we like to ride.. between China and Olds, etc..
"Life is a Garden..
Dig it!"
- the immortal words of Joe Dirt

Havaduner
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Havaduner »

My first trip to Glamis, some 20 years ago, was Thanksgiving on Gecko. After that, for years it was the first wash North of 78, very soft, back in the trees was great! When that closed, moved to wash 13, when wash road was nothing but whoops! Our group now seems to alternate between wash six on off weekends, and 13 on busier weekends. So far this year we have avioded all the holidays.

Return to “The Duner Connection”