Planning trip to Glamis from east coast in November

Plan trips, get togethers, hook up with new duners.

Moderators: GlamisSandDuner, Sitewide Forum Moderators

mrmoto9
1st Gear Member

Planning trip to Glamis from east coast in November

Post by mrmoto9 »

I have dreamt of one day of going to Glamis for a riding trip. It took me 42 years,but I plan on doing it in November. IN an RV, my 2 boys, myself, a neighbor and his boys, and several friends plan on making the journey there. I have so many questions:
What is the best spot to camp?
Where are the best places to go?
What are the things I absolutely must do while I am there?
Do I need a guide?
How long will it take driving from NJ to Glamis?
Anything cool along the way ?

I have been and continue to read the forums here, but would like to hear from those who've been in my position. PLease respond.

Mr. Moto

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Planning trip to Glamis from east coast in November

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

mrmoto9 wrote:I have dreamt of one day of going to Glamis for a riding trip. It took me 42 years,but I plan on doing it in November. IN an RV, my 2 boys, myself, a neighbor and his boys, and several friends plan on making the journey there. I have so many questions:
Do I need a guide?

I have been and continue to read the forums here, but would like to hear from those who've been in my position. PLease respond.

Mr. Moto
http://www.glamisonline.org/rookies.asp
http://www.glamisonline.org/WashGuide.shtml
http://www.glamisonline.org/gps/index.asp
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

Rick Bowen
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Rick Bowen »

I would suggest avoiding Thanskgiving, including the full prior week.
Milkvetch.... It's not just for breakfast anymore.

OBSESSED
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by OBSESSED »

mrmoto9 wrote:I have dreamt of one day of going to Glamis for a riding trip. It took me 42 years,but I plan on doing it in November. IN an RV, my 2 boys, myself, a neighbor and his boys, and several friends plan on making the journey there. I have so many questions:
Do I need a guide?

Mr. Moto
I’ll try to answer your questions, and right up front, I’d like to say, I wish I was going with you!

Total Est. Drive Time: 44 hours, [so, + or - three hours] of actual driving time…
Total Est. Distance: 2700 miles + or - 200 miles depends on route and weather.

This doing a simple Map Quest from my house to the Meadowlands… The weather on the trip will dictate your interstate of choice, just pick a route that goes mainly west… The 80 then get to the 10 somehow, and then at the Colorado River as you cross into Kalifornia, know you are within hours of major fun!

Best Place to Camp for a first timer?
Maybe Wash 7 if you have a 4x4 any wash will be fine, if you are in a Motor Home, be extra careful of the bushes [sand tends to gather around the base of plants and will reach out and grab you to get your MH stuck]…
Take Hwy 78 from Blythe/Palo Verde [south west] and turn left when you see the GBS, [south] just over the RR tracks. The Wash numbers will be on your left as you go down south, and just turn right into Wash 7-8-9 and pick a spot and camp.
No water so bring lots [you can fill up your water at some fuel stations in Blythe, but I’d filter it]
Pit Toilets near by so that wont be an issue…
The Glamis Beach Store and other vendors will have supplies you might need.
Brawley is 20 miles to the west if you need anything from a ‘bigger’ town.
You wont need a guide but get a nice hand held GPS with a mount for your ATV. The GPS coordinates are listed here [somewhere, and are a must when duning Glamis] The dune system, is VAST!
You’ll as a first timer want to see:
Boardmanville, it’s a bar in middle of desert, with a million one dollar bills on the walls..
Osborne Overlook, first place you should stop when on your first ride, the best dunes in the USA are within a mile of Osborne. I could dune the dunes just south of Osborne all day, day after day… and never grow tired of them.
Oldsmobile Hill, the favorite gathering spot for many duners [up to 5000 people] will be hanging out and posing with their $100,000 rides on any given Saturday in October or November…
Comp Hill, Brawley Slide, Lizard Hill, China Wall are other walls or major hills you will also want to see.
The Drags [which are not drags but a endless line of posers strutting their latest machines] can also be a fun place to see. These happen near the Ranger Station off Gecko Road, and start in the late afternoon.
The Ranger Station… Buy your ‘Pass’ [who knows how they will be sold next season]… The Ranger Station also has exhibits that shows the extent of the wildlife at the ISDRA. Interesting…

My Opinion:
When duning try to follow the contour of the dune. Don’t go straight line, up and over to the next dune; if you do, you will end on your head. Bowls roll from dune to dune, follow the ridge.
Take it slow, and always look forward, and side to side constant. If you look back for your lager friend, you could go off a drop off that will come up on you with out much warning. If you dune round and round, your lager friend can cut the corner to keep up. If you get separated from any member of your group have a meeting spot… or better yet, just go to the top of the highest dune peak and look around… If your buds due the same, you will find each other. Bring lots of water, even in the winter.
Dune the buddy system. NEVER go on a ride, even if it is for 5 minutes to the Toilet by yourself!
I repeat, NEVER EVER go for any ride by your self. NO-no-no, do not do it…

The dune system is 40+ miles long north to south, and as wide as seven miles east to west. If you are lucky, you will only dune ½ of this. Be safe, stay out of the closures [see a stake, dune to it, and stop, are you on the correct side of the closure stake?]…
Firewood, drinks, spark plugs, and other supplies can be bought at various places at the ISDRA.
There is a vendors near the GBS and a vendors near the Ranger Station. There are mobile Ice trucks, and mobile Tee Shirt vendors.
If you stayed awake 24/7 for seven days, you could not see all there is to see at the ISDRA!
Everything Mentioned above is in the “North” dunes, and there are many places to visit in the South Dunes as well [Patton Valley, South Comp Hill, Mexico Border] ETC… Time will be your enemy!

If you have always wanted to see Glamis, or the ISDRA… And you have a chance, forget the trip getting here, just drive the 40 hours straight through ! Have each person drive as little as 2-3 hours. This way the others on the drive can cat nap and relax between their turn. The 80 to the 10 somehow, then south west at Blythe/Palo Verde… Next thing you’ll know, you’ll have sand in your shorts! Bring a few baggies for you must take some sand home to show your friends. Bring a couple of cameras [sand could get inside them also], and a disposable. Take lots of Pix…
You will have the time of your life!
You will have stories to tell your friends and family until you die.
Glamis, is like Mecca to OHV riders. Your life will change after your trip. Be prepared for some life altering experiences!

Enjoy, and cherish the experience!

Steve “Obsessed” Brooks
There is a chance [50-50] I will be there that weekend. I’d love to show you around… When your trip gets close, PM me your details!

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

This is opinion; some people like Gecko, some like the washes. It's pretty much where or not you like camp on pavement or "circle the wagons" on dirt. Remember, bring all you need with you as there is no water, electricity, dump stations available at the dunes. There is the Glamis Beach Store for some things, but major shopping in Brawley is almost 30 miles away.
mrmoto9 wrote: Where are the best places to go?
Well, for one, the best freakin' dunes in the whole U.S.A. are right there.
Go to Comp, Olds, Brawley Slide, China Wall, Boardmanville, etc.
mrmoto9 wrote: What are the things I absolutely must do while I am there?
Dune like you're never going to get to do it again!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
mrmoto9 wrote: Do I need a guide?
Well, get a GPS first of all. Someone that knows their way around is extremely helpful, but a newbie should have a GPS.
mrmoto9 wrote: How long will it take driving from NJ to Glamis?
According to my map program.....
It's 2618.1 miles from Trenton, N.J. to Glamis, CA
Driving time is 42 hours (not counting breaks, sleeping, etc.)
Cost @ 10mpg @ $2.89 per gallon is $773.00 plus tax.
mrmoto9 wrote: Anything cool along the way ?
The Grand Canyon, Phoenix in the fall :lol:
mrmoto9 wrote: I have been and continue to read the forums here, but would like to hear from those who've been in my position. PLease respond.

Mr. Moto
:D :D :D

As said above, try to avoid the week before and the week of Thanksgiving unless you want to join in major crowds. First of November, First of December is much lighter crowds.

Bring paddles!!! :lol: :lol:
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

My advise, keep posting here and other sites and build some friendships. Chances are you'll be invited along and shown the ropes by a Glamis Veteran.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

GB stated:
My advise, keep posting here and other sites and build some friendships. Chances are you'll be invited along and shown the ropes by a Glamis Veteran.
I totally agree. Riding the dunes for the first time is all together a different experience. An awesome experience :!: The dunes will be intimidating at first glance and most likely first riding experience. You definitely need to have a Glamis Vet with you. As the guys infered, it is something that you'll remember forever :D
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

alyshka
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by alyshka »

When you nail down the dates make sure you post them so woodglue can add you to the list.

CAN'T WAIT 8-[
21 days until next G ride :!: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Robert Hancock
"The task that has fallen to us as Americans is to keep alive the hope and dream of freedom"
Ronald Reagan
alyshka r.i.p. 1987-2004
Alyshka's Photos

djw
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by djw »

Filter Skins, jetting? :wink:
djw
W8AME

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

mrmoto9, Welcome to the board! :wink:
Listen closely to what the guys have said above, they're pretty smart!
Further, anyone of the these guys who have offered here to show you around Glamis are good people.
alyshka wrote:When you nail down the dates make sure you post them so woodglue can add you to the list.
alyshka is referring to the list that I kept last season with anyones Dune Plans. Click the underlined link, this was the thread from last March. I'll be doing something similar for the 2007/08 Dune Season shortly.
alyshka wrote:CAN'T WAIT 8-[
21 days until next G ride :!: \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Again, alyshka is referring to the July 2007 Off Season Night Ride Trip. On schedule with the summer's full moons, a bunch of us rally up at Glamis to ride the night out. \:D/ There's nothing like watching the summer sun rise over the dunes of Glamis.

Taken Aug20,2007 - 2006 Night Ride Trip #1
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

OBSESSED wrote:Boardmanville, it’s a bar in middle of desert, with a million one dollar bills on the walls..
:wink:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

mrmoto9
1st Gear Member

November 5th we ride Glamis!

Post by mrmoto9 »

Looks like we'll be leaving New Jersey on November 2nd 2007 and with any luck arriving in Glamis sometime on Sunday. My 2 sons are very excited. I guess we'll start purchases of necessities. If anyone has a check list they would like to share I would really appreciate it. Spares list would also be helpful. I picked up a 55 gallon drum for water from a local Car Wash. Is one enough for 3 riders for 3 days? My RV carries 40 gallons as well but I would bet most would agree that water is something we should have more than enough of. It would be great if I didnt have to fill the drum until I got there. Are there reasonable fill stations I can go to on Sunday night? Fuel is another concern, I would like to buy Sunoco 112 when I get there but will carry it with me if need be. 3 days 3 riders 30 gallons enough ?
Helmet Cams suggestions?
GPS Units suggestions ?
Cellular access out there a problem ?
Will I have had enough after 3 days ?

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

Water: My family of 4 can do 5 days in the dunes with 35 gallons of water. But we're very careful with it and are far from the norm. And my boys will stink from lack of showering, but they love it.

Gas: Depends entirely on how much you ride and how thirsty your bikes are.

Water and gas fill: Knowing your route would help.

GPS coordinates: Google "glamis gps" and you'll find what you need.

Cell service: Depends on the carrier. AT&T/Cingular works for me in the north dunes (Glamis/Gecko).

Is 3 days enough?: Depends on the person. Three days is enough for me (but more is better), but it's only a 4.5 hours drive from here so I can go several times a season.

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

mrmoto:

You are getting some great advice here. I would definitely try and hook up with a group here on the board or go riding with one of your camp neighbors. If you simply ask the group next to you if you can go on a ride with them to show you the ropes. You might try the east side where the beach store is to get familiar with the sand or what is called the washes side of the dunes. The small dunes are there and will be good for practice.

If you can get a helmet cam that would be a great momento to share. Your friends will be stunned by the rush we all know well and love. I have shown some footage to my cousins in Texas and they were amazed.

Air down your ATV tires to about 3-4 lbs. get a low psi tire gauge some motorcycle shops will have them. I am assuming you are not going to buy paddles for one trip and knobbies will get you by - but just air down, that will help you out the most.

One thing you also need to remember is you have to shift a lot out there. Keep your rpm's up when climbing and gear down when going down. But stay up on the pipe. Your boys will probably be lugging their bikes so stay on them about shifting up or down. Because you may stall if you dont shift and stay on the gas.

On your water, I dont think you want to haul a 55 gal drum across country. You are going to have enough of a storage problem. Just get a couple of 5 gal jugs or the plastic home water delivery jugs work good too. You and your guys will need to take the navy shower -rinse, shut off, lather, rinse. Take a shower every other day while there and that will help too.
Be careful and have fun. Good luck
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

mrmoto9,
Just reading this thread excites me, and I was there a week ago. I think it's just that you and the boys are in for the time of your life and that alone gives me a new perspective of the ole Glamis.

The first time I went there was only 8 years ago, but I had no idea what to expect, so I never had the anticipation that you might be feeling. So, dont mind me, I'm just living vicariously through you. :D

My family will be there [in Wash24] at the same time as you! Well, almost. We're leaving Glamis on Su:Nov04 in the afternoon and it looks like you're arriving, 'sometime on Sunday'.
As long as we can time your arrival a little sooner, and my departure a little later, I can take you & the boys out for a ride on Sunday at +/-lunch-time. If you're game for something like this, let me know.

With these dates, you guys will be out there almost alone. Some of the vendors may not be open.

Don't bring too much stuff, you can always run into Brawley [there's a Von's Grocery Store, automotive stores, hardware, fast food, etc], and it's only some 21 miles from Glamis.

Water:
With 40 gals in the RV, I don't think you'll need your 55 gal drum. The guys above posted their water consumption, and it's right in line with my family of 4 using 35 gallons over 5 days... and that's with a leaking fresh water tank.

Whips and Flags:
You are required to have these on your vehicles in the dunes.

Recreation Pass:
You can get a 1 week pass for $25.00, buy it before you get there, on-line from ICSO or over the phone at 800-273-0165. If you don't have one, you will get a citation.

Fuel:
Unless one of the vendors sells Sonoco 112, I don't think you'll get it at Glamis. You might be better off to bring it. But it might be worth checking with Gilmore's first. I think it's called Gilmore's Off-Road. They may have a website. :? Last season, there was a station in Brawley that sold high octane, but if I remember right, it was 110, not 112.

Tools:
Bring all you can. Especially anything you'll need to repair your vehicles.
Last edited by Woodglue on Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Dunepilot
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Water

Post by Dunepilot »

Don't haul the 55gal drum.

There are mobile services who can (for a fee) pump you out and/or refill your fresh water.

There are also some locations in Brawley (approx. 22mi W. of Glamis) who have potable water. Big Johns (gas station/store) is one place that comes to mind...
DunePilot

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

MrMoto9,
To help familiarize yourself with the Glamis area, check out this thread too:
Find yourself in the North Dunes! :wink:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

mrmoto, take a look at this topic for some more info:

What you need to know to recreate at the ISDRA...
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

mrmoto,

Bring money.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

ramper123
1st Gear Member

Post by ramper123 »

MrMoto9 I was in the same situation, but coming from Texas a year ago. I didnt know what to expect and just went for it. We have been back two times since then and every time is a blast! I am not sure what kind of vehicles/bikes your going to bring but as your name suggests "moto" I am thinking your bringing dirtbikes? If so, there are a few things I would suggest.
1. Filter Skins. Oil them and put them over your air filter every day. About half way through the day or sometimes after a full day of riding you can pull them off and have a clean filter.
2. Flags. We usually go through 3-4 flags per bike in 3-4 days of riding.
3. Gas. We tend to ride a lot every day and burn around 4-5 galons a day on 450 four strokes. 2 strokes will burn gas much quicker.
4. Parking. I would suggest parking on Gecko road. For a newbie I think its the best bet. You can follow the road in and park on asphalt so you dont worry about getting stuck.
5. If you have a gps it can be very helpful. There is a website that has all the courdinates for the big hills and some of the valleys. Its also helpful to put your camp in there and use it for a return direction after a long ride.
If you have anymore questions this is an awsome forum to get help from. Everyone here helped me through my first trip. Good luck and have Fun!

mrmoto9
1st Gear Member

Re: November Glamis Trip, GPS , Helmet Cam

Post by mrmoto9 »

We are still on track for our November Trip. Thanks for all the advice so far! Filter skins sound like a good idea. As far as the flags go where do you get them ? Should I get my passes now or wait until I get to the park?
I have been trying to build an ample set of spares, including tubes, cables, a chain, brakes, any other suggestions ?
The assumption we're on bikes is correct, 2 CRF 250's and one CRF 450. I am going to suprise the boys with rear paddles to hopefully build some more excitement.
I am still looking for a helmet cam and a GPS unit. Havent decided which brand/model to use yet so its looking like it will be a panic purchase at the local Radio Shack, and Motosport. Suggestions welcome.
Thanks again for all your help.

ramper123
1st Gear Member

Post by ramper123 »

I would just wait until you get there to get the passes. We always park on gecko road and then the next morning we just ride upto the ranger station and purchase the pass. I would definitely bring an extra chain and master links. We had a chain snap and it put a little hole in the side of the case. So I would also recomend some jbweld. We got our flags through a parts unlimited dealer. You can order them by the pack of three I think. I would go with the 6 foot poles. Anything larger flaps too much and will snap. Yeah you definitely need paddle tires as well. Depending on how far your chain is adjusted out the paddle tire might hit the mud flap. If you dont take it off it will make a weird noise and then crack. We usually take them off and put a little tape over the vent on the bottom of the air box so not as much sand gets in. It can get really windy so makesure you have some way of securing Ez ups or awnings. The only other thing I can think of is alot of air filter cleaner and filter oil. We change our oil every other day too just to be safe. Your going to have an awsome time. Let me know if you have anymore questions!
-Clint

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

You can not buy permits at the Ranger Station as the BLM does not sell them. The Imperial County Sheriffs Office (ICSO) is selling the permits. The ICSO should have permit machines in place by November (if they stay on schedule) or you can by them on-site from one of several vendors at the dunes.

Also:
The machines WILL NOT give change. If you do not have the exact amount of cash ($25 for the weekly or $90 for the annual) the machine will dispense a voucher for your change. That voucher must be mailed to the ICSO to be processed.
The machines will only be open certain hours NOT 24 hours. More Info
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

You can get your whips, i.e. flags, at vendors row. On average they run $15 to $25 each. You will also need to buy a holder to mount on your two wheeler. There are some that attach to the rear axle and some that you can attach to the frame and rear fender (my son-n-law has this type). It coast him about $40. You can find them on http://www.rockymountainatv.com. Also, when riding around the camping areas look out for the kiddy tracks, they can be hazardous to your health. Be safe, careful, and have a great time.

sandc
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Sandcock wrote: Also, when riding around the camping areas look out for the kiddy tracks, they can be hazardous to your health. Be safe, careful, and have a great time.

sandc
People die from hitting those things. Just follow the law: 15 mph within 50 feet of a campsite. Most kiddie tracks (worm trails) are near the campsites in the washes and just off the pavement along Gecko.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

I wonder how mr motos trip went?
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

the_fog
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by the_fog »

I guess he didnt have fun, or he had so much fun hes still having the smile removed from his face.

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Yeah its too bad he has not let us know. I would be curious to see if still has that smile

mrmoto9
1st Gear Member

The time of our lives

Post by mrmoto9 »

Forgive the delay in responding. I had so much fun I cannot stop talking about it. Just driving there there was fun but nothing could have prepared me for what I was to experience. It took us about 40 hours of driving to get there. We met a couple of veterans who showed us dunes. Many of you said this would happen and you were correct. If you run across two retired men Steve on Quadzilla and Keith on a Banshee, stop by, say hello and enjoy their company, They are largely. the reason we had such a wonderful time. As we followed the labyrinthine roads in from Blythe ( I couldnt believe "the dips" in the road) a procession of RV's Trucks, Buggys, etc marched their way home that Sunday Night. Had it not been for their numbers it might have been difficult to find my way to Glamis, but there were so many all one needed to do was to watch where they were coming from. My two boys were so excited when we rolled up on the Beacj store, as was I. We bought our passes, flags, some trinkets and asked wherfe the best place to go was for a noob. The sweet old gal behind the counter said go down to Gecko Rd.. We were off and parked right in the middle of the Concrete pad. I unpacked the bikes as the kids got dressed to take a short rider before the sun set. They had about 20 minutes to ride and then we made camp. The following morning one of the other campers was on his way back from the outhose and stopped in to say hello. His name was Steve and he suggested I move off to the edge odf the pad. I did as he suggested and parked next to him and his buddy Keith. He said he would take us out to show us a few things later that day. Unfortunately my little guy must have picked up some food poisoning at one of the restaurants we stopped and and was sick the entire first day. What luck, with a brand new CRF250 in the Rv and with a new paddle tire as well. But I and my oldest son reluctantly went out with Steve and Keith. Keith and Steve showed us Oldsmobile on day one which I coultnt believe the size of that dune. One thing became obvious almost immediately, there is an art to reading the terrain out there and Steve was very skilled at this. Not that keith wasnt but Keith was keeping eye on us from behind. The next day my son was feeling better and again Keith and Steve took us out but this time they took us to Boardmanville and the CHina Wall. My boys put dollars on the wall, they thought that was cool. Keith and Steve were so good to my family I dont know how to thank them. Keith Brought a buggy and took my wife out in it the day we went to China Wall. They came up short on a small razorback and tore the front wheel of. She was covered in sand. Amazingly, Keith broth the wheel and axel to the little mall and had it welded, and a new bolt made on the guys new Lathe. In 2 hours we were back on the dunes. My wife said she had so much fun. She cant wait to go again. Keith and Steve even served as Tour Guide into Mexico one day. OUr Trip was short considering the time we spent getting there. but we are already planning the next trip. January 2009. And this time, having seen the pictures, my convoy of RVs should number about 5-10. There is so much interest in going from my family and friends its just amazing. Thank you all for all your help. We really did have the time of our lives.

the_fog
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by the_fog »

Glad you had agood time, and safe trip. Sorry we missed you.

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Glad you and your family had a good time, mrmoto! :D :D

Back for New Years 2000, I got some guys from the Texas panhandle to come out to Glamis. Four guys in a hay truck with a trailer full of stuff! :lol: :lol: They left Texas during an ice storm and got to the dunes in 2 days. They then managed to break each of the four quads they brought, rode around on borrowed machines and swore it was the best time of their life!

Well, they haven't managed to make it back out, but I keep looking for them!

BTW, have you and your family joined the ASA??? :wink:
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

gelwell

Post by gelwell »

Mr Moto, sounds like you had a great time which we all knew you would. Now that you have the bug a 40 hr commute does not seem all that bad. Sounds like Steve and Keith are like the most of us, stellar guys who know the ropes. Riding on a motorcycle is a different thrill than on a quad or a buggy but fun none the less. Congratulations on a safe and successful trip. Maybe next year you can hook up with more of us and experience more successful fun people and duning. Dune on Brutha!

Woodglue

Re: The time of our lives

Post by Woodglue »

Glad to hear it was such a good trip, thanks for posting back for us.
mrmoto9 wrote: January 2009. And this time, having seen the pictures, my convoy of RVs should number about 5-10. There is so much interest in going from my family and friends its just amazing.
What luck! I plan to be there then too! :wink:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Glamisbound

Re: The time of our lives

Post by Glamisbound »

Woodglue wrote:Glad to hear it was such a good trip, thanks for posting back for us.
mrmoto9 wrote: January 2009. And this time, having seen the pictures, my convoy of RVs should number about 5-10. There is so much interest in going from my family and friends its just amazing.
What luck! I plan to be there then too! :wink:
Figures, Woodglue is already planning his '09 trips :lol: :lol: :lol: I don't even know what I'm doing next weekend....oh wait, I'm going to Glamis :lol:

Glad you guys had a great time Mrmoto. Glamis trips get even better as you become more comfortable with the terrain and know your way around a bit more.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Return to “The Duner Connection”