glamis nov21-26

Plan trips, get togethers, hook up with new duners.

Moderators: GlamisSandDuner, Sitewide Forum Moderators

chazizcool
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

glamis nov21-26

Post by chazizcool »

been planning this trip for months now' and was wondering if the paved areas for motorhomes fill up prior to the weekend itself? i know it mite not be the best weekend to go but it is when i have off' are there camping areas at gordons well' and if so is it a better place to camp v/s other areas' i will be bringing several kids and a couple of dogs so i was hoping to locate a decent safe spot that i can set up camp and not get stuck!
any info is greatly appreciated.
charles~~
las vegas

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Sandcock »

Hey Charles,

This is one major busy week. A lot of the duners start coming out and getting spots the week before, i.e. they will drop off their rigs and have someone watch them. You might think about doing this and maybe hook up with one of the ASA'ers that do this so you can get a spot. I went out the weekend prior to the Thanksgiving weekend last year and had mr bill who went out the prior weekend save me a spot. If it wasn't for him, well I'd be elsewhere. We stayed at Cement Flats, Glamis. I had a heck of a time geting out, i.e. we were stuffed in like sardines. Also, riding was limited (I'm a quad rider) due to the sand being rutted out. But if you like to party...........it's a party.

scotty <><
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

As Scotty said the paved areas will be taken long before the weekend and sardines in a can is an apt description of the anywhere remotely close to a paved road. If you want to have elbow room you'll have to go somewhere like down to wash 30+ and that's miles from pavement.

If you have anyone in the group with breathing problems be aware that with the high concentration of people there tends to be a lot of dust all day and most of the night in the congested camping areas. The area around the Glamis Beach store will be in a fog of dust the whole weekend.

crash

Post by crash »

Gordons Well is way down south off interstate 8. The camping area is a BIG low area between the canal that runs north-south and the dunes. I have NEVER in my 20+ years seen this area fill up. It is much less structured than G and also very spread out. Except for the fact that one HAS to access the area by going over ONE bridge that goes over the canal, access is, IMO, much easier. If there is no wind, however, the dust issue can be ten times worse than G due to the effects of the low lying area. Kind of a giant bowl if you will. On big weekends I park as far west as possible up against the canal, but if there is no wind, it doesn't really seem to matter. The dust SUCKS!!

gelwell
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by gelwell »

If there is no wind, however, the dust issue can be ten times worse than G due to the effects of the low lying area. Kind of a giant bowl if you will.
This will be the case all over the ISDRA, G, Gordons, Buttercup, Greys and even Ogilby. If there aint no breeze it wont matter much where you are. But if you go out the weekend before and stay for the full 9 days be prepared for extra water and provisions.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end"

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue »

Welcome to the board chazizcool! :wink:

You're getting 15 different responses here, and they're all in about 15 different directions, but I think you can gather one theme from it all. That is, It's going to be crowded! :lol:

I would point you to camp on Washroad.
Many in the ASA circle camped down at Wash 40 last Thanksgiving for just this reason. Myself & my circle were down at Wash 24 last Thanksgiving and it was dense, but not bad at all. Traveling from the Glamis Beach Store on Washroad, you'll have chaos all week long from Wash1 until about Wash 12, you'll see a lot of dense and crazy camping from Wash 13 ~ Wash 17 or so. Last year, on busy weekends, there was a spot on Washroad just past Wash 19 that was soft enough to get you MH stuck in. Other than that, your MH would've been ok at least all the way down to Wash 40!

And, if you get stuck in any of the wash camps, don't worry about it. There's no shortage of people who can pull you out, AND that's what shovels are for! :lol:
Sandcock wrote:A lot of the duners start coming out and getting spots the week before, i.e. they will drop off their rigs and have someone watch them. You might think about doing this and maybe hook up with one of the ASA'ers that do this so you can get a spot.
Scotty, if you are talking about those guys that drop their rig out there the week before, head back home, then return a week later to camp....
I'm not sure that this is legal, and even if it is, it's certainly frowned upon by our community.
What you've explained about Mr. Bill being out there and holding your spot, that's a little different and it actually sounds like a good way to go... if it works. After all, saving space is not permitted either.
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

MR. PETE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR. PETE »

Woodglue wrote:
Scotty, if you are talking about those guys that drop their rig out there the week before, head back home, then return a week later to camp....
I'm not sure that this is legal, and even if it is, it's certainly frowned upon by our community.

As sure as the swallows returning to San Juan Capistrano, we can count on this topic arising each and every year.

I have spoken to the LEO's several times out there and they have consistently told me that it is legal to stay in one place for up to 14 days.

Until the Imperial County Board of Supervisors decide to make this practice illegal, it will continue.

At least last year on occasion, the LEO's would take down the 100' of space saving caution tape and reprimand the space savers who had put it up. This was a start in the right direction.

So, Chazizcool, expect huge crowds that week and get there as early as possible.

Also, with all the crowds, remember to think about safety too.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

it's certainly frowned upon by our community
oops :oops:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

MR. PETE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by MR. PETE »

Sandcock wrote:
it's certainly frowned upon by our community
oops :oops:
There is hope Sandcock.

If you repent of your admitted transgression and forsake the company of those who willfully continue to break the Golden Rule with this transgression, then you are welcome to join the community...

:lol:

chazizcool
1st Gear Member

thanks

Post by chazizcool »

thanks for the info guys' looks like farther down is the way to go' im wondering if it will be better to come in on highway 8

crash

Post by crash »

Just to let you know, The valley has lots of soft spots, so keep your speed up and bring the shovels! :shock: I've found that if I stay to the perimeter of the "bowl" I don't tend to get stuck as much. There can be little uprises and soft spots in the middle.

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Did we mention it's crowded out there on Thanksgiving?

I just found these old pics of Last Years TurkeyDay Trip. We left on Sunday, Nov26, and so did EVERYONE ELSE!!! #-o

Headed north on Washroad, the "line" started at Wash 10, and it was a crawl from there all the way to the highway. It took us one hour to get from Wash 23.9 to Highway 78.

Spectators gathered to watch the line. Like it was an RV Show!!!

And the line didn't end there. It took us another hour to get to the West end of Brawley.

And then, the Border Patrol Check Point had like a 20 back-up.

And then,
The rest of the drive home was all about sitting in line.
This was taken on Hwy 78, West of Ocotillo Wells.

And then there was a 12 mile back up for the stop sign at S2/79 intersection!! It only took us 90 minutes to go that 12 miles.

This was part of the 12 mile back up! Click the pic to enlarge it.

This year, we will be departing on Monday, Nov 26.... the DAY AFTER EVERYONE ELSE!!! 8)
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

the_fog
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by the_fog »

Looks like fun, I left saturday now Im glad I did.

GlamisSandDuner
Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Post by GlamisSandDuner »

I use to always leave on the Monday after Thanksgiving which was awesome, but unfortunately with my wifes new job we have to leave on Sunday now :(

Fortunately last year we avoided all of the wait time by camping out at wash 40 with washroad and friends and had a blast. :lol: When we left, we headed south on Ted Kipf Road (dirt road) about 9.5 miles to Ogilby Road (paved), from Ogilby south 3.5 miles to I-8 and like magic you are on the freeway without ever waiting in a line of traffic. \:D/ This is why my wife and I will be going back there again this year....no traffic....no dust in the turkey.....very few nuckleheads camped around you :wink:
'05 TRX450R
I work to support my duning habit!
aSa Duner Connection Moderator & Coordinator

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Last weekend, I drove my truck to Clyde Crossing to hop over to Ted Kipf. Seems the crossing is a bit different now after last Seasons Train Derailment there.
I don't have any pics, but the pavement is gone.
It used to be a paved ramp up to the tracks on both sides.
Now, it is dirt and the ramp seems to be steeper on both sides. At the tracks, there is a series of temporary pads that have been placed to allow vehicles to cross over. This looks like the kind of temporary materials that Union Pacific could throw down to make a crossing anywhere.
Point being, the crossing is different than it was last season, and due to the steeper ramps, large MH's or long truck / trailer combo's may have a tougher time crossing here. I'd certainly encourage you to some how check it out before dragging your rig down there.

chazizcool, did you decide on a place to camp at?
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

GlamisSandDuner

Thank :-$ for the information Mike.

The Washroad Nation appreciates knowing that you are looking out for us. =D>
'05 TRX450R

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

Hmmmmm. Clyde crossing,, well, shoot, if George doesn't beat me there then I will see about the crossing. Might have to find a way for some of the longer stuff to get over. I can't imagine driving the washroad all the way down as Ted K is so much better.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

:idea: :idea: :idea:
GlamisSandDuner............Nov 20 ~25............Glamis, Wash40
Woodglue.......................Nov 20 ~ 26...........Glamis, Wash 24
Washroad.......................Nov 21 ~ 25or26....Glamis, Wash40
Well, GSD and I can maybe hook up on the 20th and grab a tape measure and layout the rise, rund, flat spots and bumps and call Washroad up, verbally convey the layout results, and Washroad can analysis feasibility for his MH to drive over the tracks.

Washroad can then post said layout on the bbs for other inquiring minds.
Can?

\:D/
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Woody,
Just take your rig down there and drive over it and see how it goes. No fair using 4x4, just check out Ted K and the crossing, both directions, a couple of times.......
Or, whatever you send me I'll just figure I can do it. My coach is short so shouldn't be a problem.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Washroad wrote:Woody,
Just take your rig down there and drive over it and see how it goes. No fair using 4x4, just check out Ted K and the crossing, both directions, a couple of times.......
Or, whatever you send me I'll just figure I can do it. My coach is short so shouldn't be a problem.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No thanks! :x
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Please?
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

Ok,
On November 20, when we arrive at Glamis, I'll take Ted Kipf Rd down and cross over, and then I'll give you a call.
But only if, you'll post the findings here for others. :wink:
Deal :?:
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

GlamisSandDuner

Joe Larsen at the Imperial County Public Works office gave me a call back today, and sent me to a very nice gentlemen named Bob Ellis who is the road superintendent for that area (1-760-356-2251). Bob informed me that Ted Kipf Road is graded periodically, but it's better maintained from 78 to Bordermansville. I guess they graded that section less than a month ago, but in the process the grader had to stop due to a mechanical problem. He said that the grader was schedueled to go back out next week but it didn't seem like the whole road was going to be done. He didn't seem to think that we would have a problem going down Ted Kipf, just watch out for a couple of soft spots, he also said that it was ok to call him with future questions about the road. He is off until Tuesday the 13th, best to call him in the mid afternoon. I guess we will find out if the people at the BLM office were exaggerating [-o< or if Bob needs to have the rest of the road graded :-k
'05 TRX450R

GlamisSandDuner

Hey Mike, do you have any surveying equipment that you can bring out :?: I figured that way we could submit the results to Maestro Washer for further review :lol:
'05 TRX450R

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

Woodglue wrote:Ok,
On November 20, when we arrive at Glamis, I'll take Ted Kipf Rd down and cross over, and then I'll give you a call.
But only if, you'll post the findings here for others. :wink:
Deal :?:
I'll do it immediately!

I plan on leaving here early the 21st so the info would help. I'm mostly sure I can make it, I'm wondering about if a pusher moho could do it.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

quoting Woodglue from the other thread:
Between Clyde Crossing and Hwy78, Ted Kipf Rd is fine... it looks just like it did last season. Now, South of Clyde Crossing, I have no idea and this may be where they are referring to.
Something to remember is that this is technically a private crossing and there are still the same signs [as last season] stating such... something to the effect of 'not for public use'.
If Ted K is like last year from 78 to Clyde, good for us coming from the north. George/Dione and Jeff/Shelli shouldn't have problems coming from the south (I hope)!
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

LoBuck

Post by LoBuck »

Here's a link to my recon report & photos from last year. How much different does it look Woodglue?
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

GlamisSandDuner

Thanks for the recon report LoBuck, but unfortunately I had heard that the train derailment at the begining of this year wiped out the paved crossing. :( According to Woodglue all there is now are temporary pads to cross the tracks.

From what I heard from the BLM and the Public Works Department, I don't think that we will have a problem. Wish us luck [-o<
'05 TRX450R

Washroad

Post by Washroad »

I honestly don't remember if the pavement was there last year or not, but, no one had any trouble at all going over it in either direction.
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator

Woodglue

Post by Woodglue »

LoBuck wrote:Here's a link to my recon report & photos from last year. How much different does it look Woodglue?
About the only thing different is the 8 or 10 feet on either side of the tracks. In your pics from last year, there is a paved 'apron' about 8 or 10 feet before the tracks. That is now gone, on both sides.
Other than that, the ramps look about the same, length and slope [even though I said before that the ramps were steeper :oops: ]
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Return to “The Duner Connection”