Hardpack, Trails, Sand, and More.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

DA4RNR
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Back to the Desert

Post by DA4RNR »

Hey, its getting close to riding season in Ocotillo. I am starting to have withdrawls. Only about 4 to 6 weeks until we can get out. Anyone know of any special events going on. Poker Runs, Halloween?
Permanent Reminder of a Temporary Feeling

02 WW 2600FS
02 Suzuki RM250
03 Yamaha 350
04 Yamaha 250F
05 Honda CRF150F
05 Honda CRF450

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by Glamisbound »

There's a big annual poker run in Ocotillo Wells on Halloween. I've never done it before but was thinking about going this year. There was info on it in the SD Offroad Mag.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS »

there is this:

California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, Inc. And the Cal-Diego Paralyzed Veterans Association are proud to present:

Operation Desert Fun III
At the Ocotillo Wells SVRA
October 14-16, 2005
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

DSTMULE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

There's a big annual poker run in Ocotillo Wells on Hallowee

Post by DSTMULE »

I have done this a few times. The little ones love it, much fun for the whole Family. It was the ONLY time I ever saw a Traffic Jam in the middle of the Desert.

steveh
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by steveh »

poker run at ocotillo wells on halloween weekend is great! lots of fun but you will need lights

there is also a AMA district 38 race on oct 16th at ocotillo/plaster city
for more info http://groups.msn.com/RoadRunnerOffRoadRacing/home.htm

BGYHLR
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by BGYHLR »

The Poker Run should be Saturday night the 29th of October. Great fun for the whole family. It starts around 7:00 PM. They hand out candy to the kids at each check point. I think there are a total of 5 check points. They sometimes have little skits at each check point. When I was a kid we used to put on the skits in the slot.

Sorry we won't be able to make it this year, we have a nephew's birthday that weekend. Missed last year too because we were moving. 2 years ago we went and DSTMULE is right, there was a traffic jam in the desert. We could only cruise along at about 20 mph because there were so many people in front of us. When we got to a rise and looked back, all you could see was a trail of lights for miles behind us. Looked pretty cool.

Kevlar
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Kevlar »

A few halloweens back they had a haunted house at the fire station in town. Must've been 1,000 people go through it. Kids loved it.

DSTMULE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

haunted house

Post by DSTMULE »

I remember that, there were a few people there.

We went out two weeks ago, HIGH 90's at least, but cooler at night.......down to high 70's Still a little warm for me.

BGYHLR
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by BGYHLR »

Our first trip won't be until November 11/12. Temp's should be nice. Booked every weekend between now and then. I was hoping to get to the sand, i.e. Gordon's in November, but looks like I'll have to wait until January for that. :(

DSTMULE
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by DSTMULE »

We will be out there the weekend of 11-11 ( wifes B-Day ) and to my surprise she said it would be fine to spend her B-Day there. Temps should be a little cooler. I just hope there isn't too much wind.....gets the trailer Rockin ( Not in a good way :oops: )

I'd be curious....How many years have you all been going out there ( 20 years here ) Way back when....Got my first buggy, and spoke to a guy named FRED ?? at Dee Eng ( Bugpack ) in Costa Mesa and he gave me directions to OW and it has been my biggest vice since.

Thanks Fred
Brakes...........We don't need no Stinkin Brakes

Mr Big Wrench
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Mr Big Wrench »

Been going there since the mid 80's, but mostly over on the Anza Borrego side, until they closed most of the rideing off to OHV's.
We had some friends that had a trailer stored at an RV camp and used it several times a year.
Bob J.

Member ASA AMA CORVA

06 TE450 Husky
07 Rhino
08 GMC 2500HD 4X4 CC LB Dizzel
04 247WTB Wanderer Wagon

BGYHLR
2nd Gear Member
2nd Gear Member

Post by BGYHLR »

I started going out with my parents when I was 3. Stopped in 1990 after 17 years and totaling quad, but that wasn't the real reason. I got married, bought a condo, then bought a house, etc. After we had our daughter in 1999 and added onto the house in 2002, my wife suggested we find something to do as a family on the weekends. Of course, my first suggestion was, "lets start going to the desert again".

So, we bought the trailer, then a buggy and then traded in the V-10 for a diesel. My wife wasn't too into it the first season :( . Then I bought her a quad to ride, which made it better :) . We hooked up with some other friends and started going to Glamis. Now she looks forward to October/November because that means desert season is hear :D .

So, to sum it up I have been going for 20 years, mostly to OW because thats where the parents have property and hook-ups. This season, I think we will split our trips between OW and Gordons. Going to OW on 11-11 through 11-13 and hoping to make a Gordon's trip 12-9 through 12-11.

Hope to see you all out there!

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

I made it out last weekend. It was awesome. Still a bit hot though. Hit 90 during the day and was comfortable at night. Being the week after Halloween there wasn't much of a crowd. But there was a lot of trash. I spent an hour on Sunday cleaning camps sites around us...such a bummer.

On Sat. my friends and I were sitting at the top of blow sand watching people ride up and down. Some knuckleheads were in their piece of krap "pre-runner" (i.e. stock Toyota truck with the beds cut off) trying to make it up Blow Sand coming up the steep side (were everyone rides down). They didn't get it when all the quads coming down had to go around them. Then my friends tell them, hey, your going up the wrong side, someone going to get hurt. They looked at us like what the heck are these guys talking about. They disappeared soon after. Hopefully they learned something...freaking knuckleheads.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Return to “Ocotillo Wells”