Hardpack, Trails, Sand, and More.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Sandcock
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Desert Rat Experince

Post by Sandcock »

North Coast Church is having an all guys outing 25-26-27 Feb for those that might be interested.

http://www.northcoastchurch.com/welcome ... xperience/
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Sandcock

Re: Desert Rat Experince

Post by Sandcock »

Great weekend out at OW. Estimated group size of about 300 guys with every type of toy. The weather was cool and windy on Friday and Saturday, and very nice on Sunday. Even though it was a bit windy the sand did not blow because of the dampness of the soil from the last rain. We did get a few sprinkles on Saturday morning, but nothing to stop a good ride. We had a poker run hitting the normal sites like Holmes Camp, Blow Sand, Devil's Slide, Pumpkin Patch, Shell Reef, Gas Dome and Artesian Well. Basically, we pretty much had all of OW to ourselves. Where were you GB :shock: I've never experienced the fluffy sand at Blow Sand like it was. Just a great outing. The best was saved for last, e.g. when we woke on Sunday it was very clear and looking out it was pretty stunning to look at the surrounding mountains with the snow cover 8) Can't wait to next year :!:
The real egalitarians are not the people who want to redistribute wealth to the poor, but those who want to extend to the poor the ability to create their own wealth, to lift themselves up, instead of trying to tear others down. Earning respect, including self-respect, is better than being a parasite. Thomas Sowell

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Too many things against me. I HATE cancelling desert trips but I folded to pressure. Sicks kids, the weather, and baseball pictures early Sunday morning. My plan was to come back early Sunday and my concern was the low snow level thinking it was possible S2 would be closed or at least have chain requirements...not something I wanted to deal with with 65' of rig and a wife that would have been pissed if her boys would have missed the pictures...

I'm glad you had a great time. Bad weather here, is seldom bad in the desert.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

@GB a good dad is one that is there for each one of his kids, spends quality time with them and loves them unconditionally. There will always be another time at OW, G or where ever, but precious moments missed with the kids is water under the bridge that you can't get back. Your a good daddy =D>

Now, here's a SHORT youtube link of me and my mijo-n-law [youtube]v=fq8OosWFPJQ[/youtube]
Last edited by Sandcock on Fri Mar 04, 2011 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

@GB a good dad is one that is there for each one of his kids, spends quality time with them and loves them unconditionally. There will always be another time at OW, G or where ever, but precious moments missed with the kids is water under the bridge that you can't get back. Your a good daddy =D>

Here's a short youtube of my mijo-n-law and me ripping the backside of Shell Reef

PWR MAD
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by PWR MAD »

Very cool video, brings back great memories, even though I haven't been to OW in over 25 years :oops:

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

Nice video and kind words, thanks!
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

Sandcock

Re: Desert Rat Experience

Post by Sandcock »

Just realized that I spelled experience wrong :oops:

OW is a great riding experience. It seems like every time I go out I find some place where I haven't been before. The ride at OW is a little more physical than Glamis and the ride at Glamis is more of an adrenaline rush. I got to have both throughout the year.

For those that ride OW, they have opened up more area on the other side of S-22. I thought it was for street legal vehicles. I was wrong, all can ride. I'll be trying it out soon.

TDS has set up a off-road racing course over there (Truckhaven area). The first one is this weekend for those who may be interested.

HSSC
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by HSSC »

OW is where I cut my offroading teeth way back in the sixities. There was no place you couldn't go back then. Very cool vid.

My take is, riding the Reef is a tad more dangerous than the sand, as one small mistake and the landing is much harder and in some spots, a long way down............ :shock:

Thank you. Ken
Public lands are for public use.
Ken & family
Mt. Rose HWY,Reno NV.

Sandcock

Post by Sandcock »

More riding in Tule Wash, its all good 8)

Return to “Ocotillo Wells”