2007 Imperial Sand Dunes permits coming out in August

News and information about what's happening in the dunes.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

PRESS RELEASE

July 10, 2007

Seasonal and weekly permits again available online, by phone, or from vendors

The 2006-2007 season Imperial Sand Dunes Recreation Area Seasonal permits will go on sale in early August, the Imperial County Sheriff’s Office has announced. Weekly permits will be available mid-September.

Seasonal permits, good through Sept. 30, 2007, will be $90. Seven-day weekly permits will cost $25. Permits will be available online at imperialsanddunes.org or by calling toll-free 1 (800) 278-0165 and from businesses listed on the website. Special edition seasonal permits and standard weekly permits will be sold at the Sand Sports Super Show Sept. 15-17 in Costa Mesa.

The permits are required for all primary vehicles that access the dunes area, including both the Glamis and Buttercup areas. Violators face a citation and a fine of $100 for not having, or properly displaying, a valid permit.

The funds raised from the permit system, which is operated in conjunction with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, help fund the Sheriff’s Office dunes safety and enforcement unit. The unit is very active in helping make the dunes a safe and fun experience for all visitors.

The 2007 permits are being redesigned for greater visibility by enforcement officers. They will include an easy-to-identify logo. This will make enforcement less intrusive for dunes visitors and also make it easier for visitors to display the correct permit.

The imperialsanddunes.org website is a service of the Imperial County Sheriff’s Office and is your source of information for a variety of dunes-related matters.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jhitesma »

Interesting what they don't mention in that release.

No more replacement passes. And your receipt is no good for anything anymore. And no more upgrades from weekly.

At least according to a somewhat "hidden" page on their site:

http://imperialsanddunes.org/info-faq.htm
Q: Can I still replace my permit if lost, damaged or stolen?

A: No. Beginning Oct. 1, 2006, the start of the 2006-2007 season permits will no longer be replaced. A non-commercial special recreation permit has a value. When a permit is carelessly lost, forgotten or misplaced the price of having to buy another one or receiving a citation becomes an unwanted expense. It is important (and the visitor’s responsibility) to secure the permit inside the vehicle making sure it is properly displayed at the same time.

Hint: keep vehicle windows rolled up and doors locked at all times.

Q: If I forget to bring, lose or damage my permit can I use my receipt as a permit while at the dunes?

A: No. It is the simple responsibility of the visitor to have, display and secure their permits.

Q: Can I convert my weekly permit into a seasonal permit?

A: No. All sales are final. Credit to upgrade permits is not available.

(The page this is on I was only able to get to by disabling Flash (despite the notice that flash is required) and then clicking on the FAQ link that usually flashes off the screen when the flash menu (which does not include a link to the FAQ) loads.)

Sounds like a MAJOR reduction in service from the ICSO this year. They also say in there to forget about the promised camp to camp sales that never worked out either.

Guess that's a new way to avoid having to follow the TRT's recomendations on things...just go and do them before the TRT has it's meetings!

jhitesma
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jhitesma »

I also notice that they keep repeating "non-commercial special recreation permit" specifically....as if repeating something enough times will somehow magically make it true.

non-commercial special recreation permits can not be sold as extrance passes - they are NOT parking passes. Yet what they're doing at the ISDRA is clearly an entrance pass with the "Pass in hand before you hit the sand" and "once you're parked it's too late to buy" parking pass mentality of the BLM.

And what's with:
The funds raised from the permit system, which is operated in conjunction with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, help fund the Sheriff’s Office dunes safety and enforcement unit. The unit is very active in helping make the dunes a safe and fun experience for all visitors.
That doesn't sound like the cost of the passes going back to the dunes. It sounds like the ICSO taking a bigger cut than they need to cover the costs of collection (which is all they're legally allowed to take.)

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by LoBuck »

I would like to note that as a ISDRA TRT member, this is the first I've seen of this press release by the ICSO. I can not coment on it because I have no knowledge of it, for which I am.. well, let's just say I'm not very pleased. :twisted:

The fees are to be a large portion of the agenda items for our upcoming July 28th meeting. Its unfortunate that the ICSO chose to release this before then.

Its my opinion that at this time no one, other than the BLM and ICSO, can provide answers concerning the impact of this press release, the SRP status, or visitors accessing the ISDRA from private property. I know I don't have the answers. :?
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

Return to “ISDRA Information”