Reel to Reel to Digital

Technical Discussion Forum - This is where to discuss How, What, and Where of things digital and cyber. Post your favorite Videos.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

proglamis
ASA Transportation Vice Chair
Please enter the middle number: 5

Reel to Reel to Digital

Post by proglamis »

I have an old reel to reel tape I need to transfer to a digital format. When I say old, I mean mono tape on and old vacumn tube recorder. I still have the old reel to reel and there is a 1/4" output jack on the back. Is there going to be signal or impedance problems? What's the best way to do it?

Anyone.....Craig

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by BHenry »

Whats the make and model of the reel to reel machine? You might be able to find some information about it online. In order to best match levels, you might need something like the M-Audio USBPre, which is a full preamp. If the output jack on the machine is anywhere close to modern specifications, you should be able to match levels.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

proglamis
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by proglamis »

Thanks Bryan. Now I have to find the thing, which shouldn't be too hard. The machine is at least two feet square and sixteen inches deep and weighs fifty pounds. I'll probably be writing back....Craig

-DOUG-
1st Gear Member

Post by -DOUG- »

First post on a subject right up my alley.

If your RR machine is tube, it's bound to be mono, from the assumption it is a consumer unit. It's also bound to be a halftrack, I'll bet those tapes won't play right on a newer stereo unit that's quarter track. So you most likely need to indeed use that machine.

The audio output is an interesting question. I'd expect you could hook it right up to a computer soundcard, but would probably need to be turning the internal gain way up. You might try the microphone jack instead of the line jack, if the signal is weak. If there's a headphone jack on the player, that too can be hooked up and the volume turned up, though that might cause a little distortion as it's turned up. You want to rotate that knob back and forth several times before you even try recording from it, just to get it clean.

So when I first got out of college and went to work in the video field, it's a lot like racing where you start off using the old worn out equipment the big boys don't want anymore. I put in a lot of time matching equipment from before I was born to the new stuff. Ahhh, memories.
Who dares, WINS!!!!

Woodglue
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Woodglue »

Welcome to the board -DOUG-! :wink:
My Avatar is BLM's DRAMP Proposed OHV Access under Alt #3.
Purple = Closed
Green = Open
IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT?
More here

Return to “Camera • Video • Computer • Internet • Website”