onboard recording

Technical Discussion Forum - This is where to discuss How, What, and Where of things digital and cyber. Post your favorite Videos.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Satmanshorty
1st Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

onboard recording

Post by Satmanshorty »

I have seen the topics about camcorders and external cameras, but does anyone have any advice about dvr recorders? They seem to be a better option a sd card dvr doesnt have a tape and heads to bounce around and skip. Any suggestions on a good system to get?

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma »

It also has FAR less space and as a result has to compress the video far more to save it. Unless it has a hard drive (which is even more susceptible to vibration damage than tape) it's simply not going to hold enough for decent quality video.

If you think videos on Youtube look good - then go for it. But that's about the highest video quality you'll manage recording with that much compression.

Satmanshorty
1st Gear Member

Post by Satmanshorty »

jhitesma wrote:It also has FAR less space and as a result has to compress the video far more to save it. Unless it has a hard drive (which is even more susceptible to vibration damage than tape) it's simply not going to hold enough for decent quality video.

If you think videos on Youtube look good - then go for it. But that's about the highest video quality you'll manage recording with that much compression.
I found a website http://www.edgecameras.com and they have 2 single camera systems and a 2 camera system for what seems to be a reasonable price. the higher priced of their single system has a 720x480 resolution. that is the same as dvd quality isnt it? they say with a 4 gig sd card it should record up to 280 min(4.5 hours) that should be fine for anything i need to do, but am trying to find the best product for a decent price.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

It's not a matter of resolution.

It's a matter of compression.

The more you compress video the worse the quality gets. And you can't ever get that quality back.

Raw video takes about 250 megs for each minute you shoot. That's about 13 Gig for one hour.

Like I said - if Youtube quality video looks good to you go for it. Personally I can't stand to watch anything that low quality.

crash

Post by crash »

I don't know if Jason would agree, but in my experience, High 8 is probably the best trade off between size and picture quality. It's more than ten year old technology, but I still haven't seen anything to compare from the new stuff that looks rugged enough. High 8 is still pretty expensive too, even though it is older technology.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I'm a fan of DV. Quality is higher than Hi8 and it's easier to get into a computer for post-processing/archiving. It doesn't hurt that price has come down quite a bit lately as well.

FWIW once I gave up on mounting a full camera to get video and went with a "helmet cam" connected to a camcorder tucked safely away in a padded camera bag I stopped having problems with video cut-outs from the G forces pulling the tape away from the heads.

Unfortunately I still haven't found a way to not get sick watching my own videos (having some of the car in the shot helps but I can still only take a few minutes of it at a time without getting queasy.) And since I don't have the time to edit a bunch of footage together I pretty much just leave my video at home and stick to stills.

Plus the one issue I've had with every video camera I've ever owned is batteries. They never last long enough and after a year or two stop holding a charge well since I don't use the video cam often enough to keep cycling them. My current cam has a LiPo that is supposed to not have a memory effect like the old NiCads....but sure enough the last time I went to use the camera despite putting it on the charger two days ahead I got all of 10 minutes of life out of the battery :(

Return to “Camera • Video • Computer • Internet • Website”