Removing classic environment from mac powerbook g4

Technical Discussion Forum - This is where to discuss How, What, and Where of things digital and cyber. Post your favorite Videos.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Winston Cup
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Removing classic environment from mac powerbook g4

Post by Winston Cup »

I'm on panther and getting ready to upgrade to leopard. I've got a powerbook g4 and I don't use the classic environment nor the os 9 anymore. I've done some searches and can't find out how to remove both os 9 and classic from my system. I'm hoping to free up a bunch of space by doing so. Any mac gurus know the procedure?
Guy Chrest

Intelliduner
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Removing classic environment from mac powerbook g4

Post by Intelliduner »

Winston Cup wrote:I'm on panther and getting ready to upgrade to leopard. I've got a powerbook g4 and I don't use the classic environment nor the os 9 anymore. I've done some searches and can't find out how to remove both os 9 and classic from my system. I'm hoping to free up a bunch of space by doing so. Any mac gurus know the procedure?
Leopard does not support Classic:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303137

I would hope that during the upgrade process it would either question you as to what you want to do with your old Classic-related files, or automatically preserve them so that you can retrieve whatever files you want after the upgrade. You can probably just send any such Classic-related folders to the trash and be done with it.

I've cut the cord with all but two Classic apps, mainly because I don't have the time to research alternatives designed for OSX, or to learn them. But I know I can't avoid it forever. Nor do I really want to. I don't care much for having to run Classic and those old apps, but it's easier than the alternative right now.

_d

Return to “Camera • Video • Computer • Internet • Website”