Question for the Mac Gurus here

Technical Discussion Forum - This is where to discuss How, What, and Where of things digital and cyber. Post your favorite Videos.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Question for the Mac Gurus here

Post by BHenry »

So I made the move to a Mac for most of my computing needs. In the Safari browser this morning, when I used the "View new pasts since last visit" link, when I clicked on the icon to go to the new posts, and returned to the list, the icon didn't disappear the way it did with IE7. It did go away after I reloaded the page, and after posting and using the link to return to the list. Jason, Guy, any thoughts?
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jhitesma »

Sorry, don't use IE or Mac's if I can help it...and I'm not a fan of the "new posts since last visit" since I don't read all the forums.

So I'm not sure what it is you're describing in the first place let alone how to help with it.

Intelliduner
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Re: Question for the Mac Gurus here

Post by Intelliduner »

BHenry wrote:So I made the move to a Mac for most of my computing needs. In the Safari browser this morning, when I used the "View new pasts since last visit" link, when I clicked on the icon to go to the new posts, and returned to the list, the icon didn't disappear the way it did with IE7. It did go away after I reloaded the page, and after posting and using the link to return to the list. Jason, Guy, any thoughts?
I've never seen it disappear in Safari. Just for comparison, I checked in Firefox and it doesn't disappear there either. It is probably specific to IE.

_dennis

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

Not sure I'm following you here BHenry on when you see it and when you don't. I only use safari so I don't have anyway to compare it to IE or anything else as of the last few years at least. I do know that on some pages some of those links don't show, IE: Posts from last 24 hrs etc, and that's always been an inherent flaw with this bbs as I remember.
Guy Chrest

BHenry

Post by BHenry »

Guy, when I use the "View posts since last visit link", there is a link that comes up next to the thread title for view newest post. I usually click on that to see what has been posted since I was last in the thread. In IE, when I clicked back, the newest post link would disappear from next to the titel thread, which made it easy for me to keep track of which threads I had read. In Safari, it seems the only way to get that to update is to use the "View new posts since last visit" link when I leave the thread, or reload the search page. I was wondering if there was an easier way.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I see what you're talking about now. I didn't know what "Icon" you were referring to.

What's happening is when you use your back button to get back to that page your browser is pulling it from it's local cache. Since it's coming from your cache the page still shows that link as un-followed since it was when the page was loaded and stored into your cache.

IE was most likely ignoring it's local cache and just re-loading the page each time. Which in this case is beneficial but really isn't proper behavior for a browser as it wastes resources.

It could be there's a META tag or something on that page which tries to tell browsers to ignore the cache...but that's something which the browser manufacturers really aren't good about following conventions on. The best way is with a HTTP header which is considerably more difficult to slip in.

This may have changed in the new V3 codebase of the BBS. We'll know eventually as I've been looking into getting us upgraded (V3 should be quicker, easier to keep upgraded, better at keeping out spammers, and has most of the fixes we've done manually built in as well as being more secure and more flexible for future changes.) However there is not timeline yet for getting V3 up as my schedule has been rather unpredictable....which is why we haven't made any kind of announcements about it. Once we have a test version of V3 ready we'll let everyone know ahead of time before we do the switch over so there aren't any huge surprises.

Intelliduner

Post by Intelliduner »

jhitesma wrote:I see what you're talking about now. I didn't know what "Icon" you were referring to.

What's happening is when you use your back button to get back to that page your browser is pulling it from it's local cache. Since it's coming from your cache the page still shows that link as un-followed since it was when the page was loaded and stored into your cache.
Yes, I just got what he was talking about now, too. I thought he meant that the text link (that literally says "view posts since last visit") disappeared, not the little orange icon next to each thread.

Rather than click the back button, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the text link that says "view posts since last visit" and it will reload the page with threads with content you haven't read. *Then* the orange icon next to the thread you just came from will disappear.

_dennis

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

Intelliduner wrote:
jhitesma wrote:I see what you're talking about now. I didn't know what "Icon" you were referring to.

Yes, I just got what he was talking about now, too. I thought he meant that the text link (that literally says "view posts since last visit") disappeared, not the little orange icon next to each thread.

Rather than click the back button, scroll to the bottom of the page and click the text link that says "view posts since last visit" and it will reload the page with threads with content you haven't read. *Then* the orange icon next to the thread you just came from will disappear.

_dennis

AAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAaaaa now I see.

Yep what they said.
Guy Chrest

Return to “Camera • Video • Computer • Internet • Website”