Drop off in SPAM

Technical Discussion Forum - This is where to discuss How, What, and Where of things digital and cyber. Post your favorite Videos.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Drop off in SPAM

Post by WoodIsGood »

A month or so ago I was getting about 50 spam messages a day, then suddenly the number dropped off to just one or two a day with no changes by me. I didn't and don't use a spam filter because good messages were being filtered on occasion. Mother-in-law and brother-in-law saw a precipitous drop in their spam count about the same time too and they use different ISPs. I'm not complaining or anything, but just wondering what happened?

LoBuck
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Re: Drop off in SPAM

Post by LoBuck »

I'm glad somebody is because I'm not really seeing a drop. My spam filter is working good though so it cuts down on the amount that actually makes it to my Inbox. Still a pain having to go through the spam filter every now and then to make sure some new emails I want do make it in do make it.
Glenn Montgomery - KE7BTP
'79 CJ5
http://www.YumaDuners.com - LoBuck's Web Page
DAC ISDRA Sub Group Member - AZ OHV Rep BLM ISDRA DSG webpage

WoodIsGood
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by WoodIsGood »

My drop in span does have me wondering if messages are being filtered at my ISP on some level I'm not aware of and possibly blocking messages I do want to get too.

Rekd
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by Rekd »

I rarely get spam, even on addy's I've had for many years.

I think part of the reason is because of http://trashmail.net Very handy.

Firefox users can install it on their right-click menu.
What's in your sippy cup?
___□__ □
[l_,[____],
l---L - OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)--)_)

ATVs /Offroading at About.com

jhitesma
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Post by jhitesma »

I've been seeing a LOT more backscatter spam where the spammers use a false return address and then send their crap off to a known wrong address so it will bounce to the false address they provided.

A month or so ago I cleared out my spam folder (even though nothing stays in it for more than 30 days) and it was over 6G in size. I posted about that in a reply to Sloppy when I did it. That folder is now back to almost 11k messages.

The filters on the servers I administrate are also still catching a ton of stuff.

I'm guessing your ISP may have tightened things down on their end.

It may also help that the new phpBB3 on here no longer exposes e-mail addresses. You can still send e-mail to other users - but not directly. The message gets sent by our server instead of just handing the address over to you so people's e-mail addresses are not exposed publicly. So that may be helping you as well though it's more of a "future proofing" in that it makes it harder for your address to be harvested by spammers in the future - though it's likely it's been harvested in the past so it's still out there.

Return to “Camera • Video • Computer • Internet • Website”