NEED COMPUTER HELP

Technical Discussion Forum - This is where to discuss How, What, and Where of things digital and cyber. Post your favorite Videos.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

OLD GUY
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

NEED COMPUTER HELP

Post by OLD GUY »

My son's lab top works wireless from his room. The router is in my den. His desk (Teenage Junkyrd) has no room for printer. Can I and how would I set him up to use the printer in my den going through the wireless router. I would appreciate any help. I am a computator dumby
New 5th. Wheeler
New Quad
Still the OLD GUY
BUT LOVING IT!!!!!!

crash
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member

Re: NEED COMPUTER HELP

Post by crash »

As far as I know, all that has to be done is to allow access to the printer. This should be done from your computer in the printer setup area. I will tell you that of all the stuff I have at my house, one of the things that is a constant issue is printer sharing. I don't know why. Sometimes it works. Sometimes it doesn't. Being that the printer we have is USB, we have just learned to bring the laptop into the office and print when needed through a direct connection via USB. Not as convenient, but works everytime.

OLD GUY
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by OLD GUY »

Thanks Crash. We'll try it. Enjoying my retirement but working harder now than I did at work
New 5th. Wheeler
New Quad
Still the OLD GUY
BUT LOVING IT!!!!!!

crash

Post by crash »

You had one of dem gubment jobs, right? :-^ :P

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Depends on what version of windows you're running on both systems. With Vista and NT it's a much bigger PITA to setup printer sharing due to windows incredibly annoying permissions system.

Need more details to give a useful answer in other words.

OLD GUY
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by OLD GUY »

Both computers use Windows XP if that's what your asking. Remember I'm slow when it comes to computers
New 5th. Wheeler
New Quad
Still the OLD GUY
BUT LOVING IT!!!!!!

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Both running XP it should be fairly simple. Here's an article that should help:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... july2.mspx

OLD GUY
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by OLD GUY »

Jason, Thanks a millon I was able to get it to work with ease. I impressed my kid even as long as I hide the link you sent. Thanks again for all the help
New 5th. Wheeler
New Quad
Still the OLD GUY
BUT LOVING IT!!!!!!

Vincent J Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder • Past President
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

My wife and I did it this way for years and it worked fine - except when I would turn off my computer and go to bed. The "host" computer needs to be on to share the printer. And some functions weren't available to her - it was an all-in-one. For whatever reason, she couldn't scan.

Since then we bought a networkable printer from HP - it came with the software that enables other computers hooked into the same router to access it. It has a cable same as the computers that go to it. Setup on each computer took no time and, more importantly, no knowledge, at all. The printer actually has a web site of its own you can go to and tweek the settings. Same as our router.

There's also an option to use a wireless card with a wireless router so you can have the printer sit anywhere its convenient. I'm sure there's more magic that can be worked, but we're good with it the way it is.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Yeah, network capable printers rock...but are considerably more expensive and not many people think about that when shopping for a printer.

Another solution is to pickup a "Print server" you can get a good one for about $100 or less and they speak just about all network protocols. You just plug your printer into the print server and the print server into your network. Then like Vince's printer you get a website for the server and the printer shows up on your network.

But as long as you don't mind having the computer the printer is connected to on the cheapest and most direct solution is to just use your OSes built in printer sharing.

Then you just need to get you guys some NAS boxes and move most of your file storage off onto the network. Then it doesn't matter what computer you're on everything is accessible. You can even setup Firefox to store your profile on a network drive so every computer you log on to is the same :D

Vincent J Brunasso
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by Vincent J Brunasso »

Yeah, I looked at the print server and the cost of a new printer - $399 & free shipping direct from HP got me a new color laser - the extra $150 seemed worth it.
Vincent J. Brunasso
ASA Co-Founder and past president

“My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.”
--Thomas Jefferson

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I fully agree that if you're in the market for a new printer then looking for one that's network capable is a VERY good idea. A good printer will last years and being network capable is well worth the extra cost if you have more than one computer and one of them isn't left on all the time.

On the other hand if you're someone who buys cheap printers every couple months because it's cheaper than buying ink for the one you have...a print server would probably be money better spent :D

Lots of options available to match any situation! God bless America!

(Though I still think 32 varieties of hot dogs is going a bit too far :D )

Return to “Camera • Video • Computer • Internet • Website”