Camcorder under $500?

Technical Discussion Forum - This is where to discuss How, What, and Where of things digital and cyber. Post your favorite Videos.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Camcorder under $500?

Post by RAD4EVER »

Looking 4 a camcorder under $500 OTD?
One that will download on XP home without adding special applications.
Hard drive?
Ease of operation?
Decent battery life?
Takes decent still photos within reason?
Anyone?
RAD

Glamisbound
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Re: Camcorder under $500?

Post by Glamisbound »

Just go to Fry's and take your pic. I was over there the other day and saw a very compact digital video cam with a flip out screen for $150. It had a 8 gig card for storage, which is adequate for most people.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

RAD4EVER
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by RAD4EVER »

Glamisbound wrote:Just go to Fry's and take your pic. I was over there the other day and saw a very compact digital video cam with a flip out screen for $150. It had a 8 gig card for storage, which is adequate for most people.
Kinda late to respond, but...here goes. Went to local Target and bought Kodak's Zi8 with a 8 gig card. Simple and lightweight! It's was use for the first time a Glamis during the Halloween weekend. Learning curve using a small camcorder totally different than my 17 year old Super 8! The camcoder only has one mode of video file...it being MOV? Had to use my video converter application so as to use different video formats. That being said, a snap and joy to use!
The HD...unreal! But what a monster of a file! Great for viewing it on HD TV, but don't try to download it on Youtube or MySpace.....it's foreverrrrrrrrr!!!???? [-o< :shock: :shock:
Thank GB! Your suggesting hit the spot! =D>
Daniel
PS: After sale price, came out to $165 for camcorder, 8 Gig Chip $24. Steal have to get the Big-Boy-Corder for Familia Functions and successful Border Crossings! :D

Glamisbound

Post by Glamisbound »

RAD4EVER wrote:
Glamisbound wrote:Just go to Fry's and take your pic. I was over there the other day and saw a very compact digital video cam with a flip out screen for $150. It had a 8 gig card for storage, which is adequate for most people.
Kinda late to respond, but...here goes. Went to local Target and bought Kodak's Zi8 with a 8 gig card. Simple and lightweight! It's was use for the first time a Glamis during the Halloween weekend. Learning curve using a small camcorder totally different than my 17 year old Super 8! The camcoder only has one mode of video file...it being MOV? Had to use my video converter application so as to use different video formats. That being said, a snap and joy to use!
The HD...unreal! But what a monster of a file! Great for viewing it on HD TV, but don't try to download it on Youtube or MySpace.....it's foreverrrrrrrrr!!!???? [-o< :shock: :shock:
Thank GB! Your suggesting hit the spot! =D>
Daniel
PS: After sale price, came out to $165 for camcorder, 8 Gig Chip $24. Steal have to get the Big-Boy-Corder for Familia Functions and successful Border Crossings! :D
Cool.
GLAMISBOUND
Walking the gap...All give some, some give all!!

36' HR Endeavor Diesel Pusher, 330 Caterpillar
2007 Potter Productions Dual Sport with a Redline LS1 and Mendi 2D
'02 yz 426
'04 crf 50
50 cc quads for the little groms

crash

Post by crash »

If you are going to be using in harsh environments and also want to do in car stuff, you may want to take a look at the Hero cameras. I just bought six of them for a race car video project I am doing. 1080p HD for under $300 and the size of a matchbox or two. Totally sealed and can take a serious beating. Doesn't compare to the true three 1/2" chip cameras I am using, but does seem to work pretty well.

dsrace
1st Gear Member

Post by dsrace »

I know this is a little late to post but I am new here and thought this might help. I recently purchased the new go pro cam HD and love it! now the sound isn't as good as my digital camcorder but the camcorder isn't water proof and doesn't like sand! the go pro is in the water tight case and it doesn't seem to mind the sand yet. I will say this you have to watch the lens, it tries to fog up once and a while but of course the humidity was high when we were at little sahara ok april. here are a few links to video's shot with the HD unfortunately they are degraded a bit thanks to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/user/minirail#p/ ... _ZTCriVqB0
this video was with the camcorder.

http://www.youtube.com/user/minirail#p/ ... H_SRQWJnYM
this is with the go pro and you do need a solid mount for it, I put it on my mirror well you can see how shaky the mirror got on the pavement.

http://www.youtube.com/user/minirail#p/ ... tyuSaeiqdM
this is with the go pro at night, I have the blue v-6 rail with blue tail lights and blue glow under the rail.

Return to “Camera • Video • Computer • Internet • Website”