Mac vs Windows Support

Technical Discussion Forum - This is where to discuss How, What, and Where of things digital and cyber. Post your favorite Videos.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Winston Cup
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
Please enter the middle number: 5

Mac vs Windows Support

Post by Winston Cup »

We're mac users. Have been for many years. My wife, at her work, used windows pc's, but otherwise that's it. Last week we had to pick up a windows vista laptop for her to use for work purposes because I didn't want windows on any of our macs. No biggie, a 600.00 toshiba and we're done. Besides the normal interface bs etc etc that you can leave to someone's personal perspective or tastes and people can argue that until the cows come home. Here's something you can't argue. When I have a problem of any type with my mac, I call apple tech support and problem solved. Doesn't matter what it is, you call, they get it handled no matter how stupid you are. Today my wife was trying to figure out how to get the windows laptop to print through our airport wireless to our epson printer that's connected to the airport. Just like my mac does automatically. Maybe it can't, we don't know. I told her to call windows tech support, we should have some since we just bought it. Well there's where the fun starts. First, finding the contact number is a nightmare. Her ID didn't work, so without that you don't get far. Finally she get's to someone and they say she need to call toshiba, then they say she needs to call microsoft, then tey say she needs to call epson and on and on. Then microsoft tells her they can help her, but she'd have to pay for it because it's not a software problem covered under there program. One thing is for sure, you cannot begin to compare the customer service between apple and microsoft. Not even close. Now I know why "I'm still a Mac".
Guy Chrest

GlamisLovingFool
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Re: Mac vs Windows Support

Post by GlamisLovingFool »

Guy,
We use Mac at our house too. I have one and my wife has one. I bought the time capsule router(really cool) to back up my wifes computer(wirelessly) since she keeps all the pictures on her machine. I too have a couple of printers and 2 additional external hard drives networked through the time capsule router. Basically we can print, backup and access additional storage wirelessly. In addition I put an airport express "receiver" near our home stereo and now we can stream itunes through the network wirelessly to our stereo. Setting all this up was a breeze.

Here is where I am going with this. I am issued a cheap windows Laptop PC for work. I can get it to connect to the Time capsule, but cannot get it to print wirelessly on my network. I tried all I could think of to get it to work, but i cant figure it out, if it is even possible.

Bottom line, we decided to try Mac as we were in the market for a new computer for my wife to finish her bachelors degree. We were not all that impressed with Vista and took the Mac plunge. We liked it so much that a couple of months later we bought her a new one and I took the older one. I cant think of a reason that I would ever go back to using a windows based PC, ever. If anyone is in the market for a new computer, I would seriously consider going to Mac. For a few more hundred you get a very cool machine that is super easy to use, immune to virus and way faster than comparably priced machines, and you dont have to deal with all the Windows problems and issues. Mac just works.

There is a new saying, once you go Mac, you never go back. :D
Josh Hashim - 08 Yamaha Raptor 700
Maria - 04 Honda 400 EX
Jonah - 2007 12V Powerwheels Batman Edition
2008 23' WW Superlite

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

Ah yes, time capsule is definitely on my list. Awesome setup. Right now I have to hook up my lacie external hard drive to back up and sometimes I get pretty lax doing that. Unbelievable the experience with microsoft today over something so simple. Down right archaic. I thought the industry had outgrown those petty games. I guess I've just been spoiled using macs.
Guy Chrest

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

Got it figured out and now it prints through our airport network. Guess where I found the answer? Apples website of all places. Go Mac! =D>
Guy Chrest

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I know the mac stuff here at the office drives me up the wall. The printers change their address randomly for no reason and announce it using a protocol that's mac specific. Basically instead of just doing the right thing and being a set and forget they change in a way that macs can follow but which they don't release for other systems to be able to do likewise. So every time I want to print from a PC or Unix box I have to reconfigure the printer because the mac's have moved everything around the net again. Drives me up the wall, it's the kind of move that you'd expect from microsoft on principal...but honestly apple does it just as often you just don't hear about it as much since they've go so much less market share.

Can't say I've ever needed to call tech support on much of anything though. I've always found actual users to be far more helpful than any tech support in just about any industry. I'd rather find a user group where I can ask a question and get answers from someone who actually deals with the issues day in and day out than call a tech support line and go through the script. Just watched a co-worker deal with a mac notebook that wouldn't turn on one morning and can't say I was very impressed by the tech support. Even after explaining that the nearest apple store was over 3 hours away they were more interested in trying to talk him into coming in than even listening to what the problem was over the phone. Finally they did try some things over the phone but after an hour the decision was bring it in. But to bring it in he had to make an appointment - and none were available for 2 days - so even though he happened to be heading to SD the next day and it wouldn't be that big of an issue to stop by the store...the best they could do was let him drop off the machine and leave it for 3 days before they'd even look at it. Of course by then he was back in Yuma and it was another 3 days to fix it and ship it...should be here today if he's lucky. Only a week of downtime.

Interesting footnote. This is the 3rd or 4th failed logic board in a mac notebook he's experienced. His Dell notebook from 1999 is still working (though old enough to be practically useless) and has never had any failures. Neither have the 4 PC notebooks from various manufacturers (Dell, HP, IBM, Acer) that I've owned in that same time period.

I see it kind of like the Ford/Chevy/Dodge debate. In my experience Chevy's are cheap and easy to fix...but need to be fixed a lot more often. My Dodges have always been more of a PITA and expensive to fix...but need repairs a lot less frequently. Over the life of the vehicle the cost seems to work out about the same, but the Dodge spends more time being driver while the Chevy spends more time being repaired. I'll gladly take some extra frustration when things go wrong over having things go wrong more often but being easier to deal with. But that's just my personal preference and others would prefer the opposite. Thankfully we have those choices to make!

As for security - keep promoting macs and you'll be in for a sorry surprise as to just how lax security on macs is. The only reason they're "safe" right now is because they barely have 10% of the market share - but as that's grown the past few years the number of malware and viruses targeting macs has started to grow as well. Snow Leopard has made some changes to improve security - but still has some serious flaws that windows hasn't suffered from since pre XP days.

I've used macs, I've used PC's, I've used Tandy's, Commodores, Vaxes, CPM machines, SGI's, Sun boxes, more flavors of Unix than Baskin and Robins has ice cream and some other more obscure platforms. To me they're all tools and none of them are perfect. They ALL have flaws and shortcoming and frustrate me to no end. It's just a matter of finding a mix of platforms that I find least offensive. Thankfully with multi-core processors, cheap memory and virtualization it's mattering less and less what the hardware or host OS actually is. I may sit in front of a windows workstation most of the time - but I spend most of my time interacting with some flavor of unix either through a terminal, xterm/remote desktop, or virtual machine.

I love trying new systems. But hate it when people try to convince me that their choice is better than my choice. I respect that some people like macs, for me they're just too restrictive and annoying. But I'm not going to try and talk mac users into giving up their macs. I may suggest they try something else - but that's something I suggest to anyone no matter what preference they may have.

GlamisLovingFool
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by GlamisLovingFool »

Jason I knew you were going to say something exactly like you did. :D
I cant disagree with anything you said either. It is very good input and nice to get a different perspective. As you said, it boils down to personal preference. In our home, we use the internet, send and receive email, type reports and use simple spreadsheets, use itunes to manage our music and do a little with pictures. We have the ability to stream music to our stereo and we hook the laptop up to the flat screen to watch Netflix movies off the net. Our needs are very basic and really very casual. There is a guy I work with that manages our PCs and he has pretty much the same comments that you make. Macs make sense for us as they are super easy for us to use, manage and maintain. Thank you for the tip on Malware and Viruses. I just may upgrade us to Snow Leopard to get a little extra protection. I guess bottom line no matter what platform they are all machines and can be prone to breakage and other issues which is why we back up on a daily basis, I dont want to lose the pictures of our son and our life together up to this point in time. I will still stand behind what my experience has been with the Mac as that is nothing short of trouble free and pleasant.

Great comments and a great perspective from the other side of the aisle.
Josh Hashim - 08 Yamaha Raptor 700
Maria - 04 Honda 400 EX
Jonah - 2007 12V Powerwheels Batman Edition
2008 23' WW Superlite

ggorman
Website Admin
Website Admin
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

Post by ggorman »

I'm out of this argument, I've tossed them all and are now running Ubuntu Hardy (9.04) like a good IBMer on my Thinkpad full time. 6 other home computers are a mix of Vista, XP and Ubuntu depending on each family member's preferences.

I fire up XP when I absolutely have to inside of VMWare. haven't had to for a couple of months now...

Greg
ASA Volunteer and Supporter
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

Return to “Camera • Video • Computer • Internet • Website”