New BBS Feature

No fences. Non area specific. General discussion forum.

Moderator: Sitewide Forum Moderators

Bob Tenwick
7th Gear "No Brakes" Member
antispam: NO
Please enter the middle number: 7

New BBS Feature

Post by Bob Tenwick »

Our resident Mr. Wizard, Jason Hitesman, has written some mojo code that merges our ASA Membership accounts and our ASA BB accounts.

This will enable ASA members to use their BB login name and password to access their membership accounts. It also lets us display a small “ASA Member” logo next to member’s posts.

To merge your accounts, go here…

http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... ounts.html

Input your BBS username and password and your Membership username and password, and wala, your accounts are merged.

One thing we’ll need to remember is that the accounts will still be managed separately. For example, if you change your email address on your BB account you still need to change it on your membership account.

I know this wasn’t an easy deal for Jason to pull off, so kudos to him for making it work.

Thanks Jason.

jhitesma
Please enter the middle number: 5

Post by jhitesma »

You will need to know your current Membership username/password to merge your accounts - but then once you merge them you can use your BBS username/password to access all parts of the site.

If you lost or don't know your Membership username/password and can't retrieve it using the lost password function please send an e-mail to webmaster@americansandassociation.org and include your full real name and some other form of identification such as phone number, address, or email address you used when you registered. We will then retrieve your info and email it to you as soon as possible.

Washroad
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair
ASA Chapters Chair • SSSS Chair

Post by Washroad »

Really easy! Thanks Jason! :D
Brian
ex-SSSS Coordinator
aSa Supporting Member and VERY PROUD OF IT!!!
2007 Jerry R. Seaver Award
"Facts don't enter a world dominated by our beliefs." Proust
The whole "point" of life is that there is no "point." There's just life.
"Never miss an opportunity to shut up." Will Rogers

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Papa Perry »

Sweet! Good job Jason! :D

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Some credit should also go to Perry 'ta2's bro' since he was the one who finally figured out a simple way to make it happen. I just took his idea and implemented it!

And if you want to get really picky some credit should go to DishNetwork since if they didn't shut off my TV on Friday I probably would have wasted my weekend on the couch instead of pulling this off :shock:

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Papa Perry »

Thanks Jason, but you did the hard work. :)

BTW, I noticed the ASA Member Logo under my name on the BBS, very cool! 8)

I think Greg might have called DISH network on you, he wanted a bit more work out of you...... :P

Perry

thor
6th Gear "Wide Open" Member

Post by thor »

done

thor

Post by thor »

not to be picky, but is there a way to say if someone is a full member or not??

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

I knew someone would ask that Thor :)

It was something I wanted to add but which would have made this a LOT more difficult. The reason is that the BBS and Membership info are stored in two separate Databases. When you merge your accounts all it does is add a hidden entry to your BBS profile and a hidden entry to your Membership profile holding your ID from the other database so I can cross reference them.

So I could make the BBS connect to the Membership database to choose membership level and display that info - but it would require the BBS to connect to two separate databases for every page request and connecting to a DB is one of the slowest things the BBS does - so that could potientially slow the system down considerably.

I could store your membership level just like I store your UserID but the problem is keeping it updated since there are a number of different ways your membership level can be changed in the database - and I don't want to worry about keeping both databases in sync. (it's tricky enough to make sure that your merge is removed if you drop your ASA memberhip for example.)

So for now it's just membership or not. I may play with talking the BBS into reading from the membership DB directly later on but I wanted to get this up and running ASAP so people could start using their BBS username on the main site. We get a lot of e-mail from people who want to use their BBS name on both places which was the main reason for doing this. The membership tag was just an extra bonus :)

Poiks

Post by Poiks »

Great job, guys!

ChoppedLiver

Post by ChoppedLiver »

Cool! I even did it from South Dakota!

thor

Post by thor »

That's ok. it is still cool. thanks.

TroyB

Post by TroyB »

Cool :D very nice

BHenry
Bulletin Board Administrator
Bulletin Board Administrator

Post by BHenry »

The funny thing is, both my BBS username and my membership username were the same already :lol: But I went ahead and merged them anyway, just make life easier.
I'll relinquish my right to ride when you relinquish your right to breathe
Bryan Henry
KG6OQD

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Yeah mine were too which made testing it kind of tricky :)

randysrail
1st Gear Member

Post by randysrail »

That is pretty neat. I think I'm a member but I don't have my membership username and password so I better send a email to the webmaster right?

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

randysrail wrote:That is pretty neat. I think I'm a member but I don't have my membership username and password so I better send a email to the webmaster right?
If you lost or don't know your Membership username/password and can't retrieve it using the lost password function please send an e-mail to webmaster@americansandassociation.org and include your full real name and some other form of identification such as phone number, address, or email address you used when you registered. We will then retrieve your info and email it to you as soon as possible.

Which is another great thing about this feature. It's my understanding that there are many people who think they are members but were lost in the database shuffle.

Make sure your spouse and your children over 14 yrs are members too. It cost nothing and only serves to make our voice louder in Sacramento and Washington.

Doorlord
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Doorlord »

wow.
:shock:
Boxer Up & Ship her out!

Nikki
3rd Gear Member
3rd Gear Member

Post by Nikki »

Great Job everyone!

Nikki

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

That was simple. I like the logo showing membership. Nice job guys.
Guy Chrest

randysrail
1st Gear Member

Post by randysrail »

That was real easy. Thanks Jason for letting me know that I wasn't a member. I just signed up and added my wife too. I used to get ASA newletters in the mail but that was quite some time ago Now I know I will get them :)

Randy

quad1100

Post by quad1100 »

Assume, now I don't have to look up my membership user name and password anymore. Is there any reason what so ever that we will ever need it, or can I totally delete it?

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

You shouldn't need your membership name and password anymore once you merge your account - we don't have any plans on undoing this in the future :) If something does come up that will require undoing it we'll be sure to let everyone know and send out usenames and passwords again at that time.

Randy, glad to hear you're back again! That was one of the main reasons we wanted to do this - so people who thought they were members but had gotten lost in the shuffle could clarify their status. There were a lot of people who signed up early on with just an e-mail address and then changed their e-mail leaving us with no way of knowing who they were or how to contact them. The bylaws have always required that we have more than just an e-mail address but it was never well enforced in the early days. When we setup the new DB we tried to contact all those people and warn them they would be falling out of the DB but since so many had changed their e-mail....

If you think you're a member and when you try to join it tells you there's a confict with an existing account please don't hesistate to drop us an e-mail at webmaster@americansandassociation.org. That's what we're here for!

azsandrider

Post by azsandrider »

Cool !!! :D :D

Thanks Jason.
(The above statement is my own opinion and not that of the ASA's.)

T. Wight
Mesa, AZ.
ASA Supporting Member
ASA Volunteer

Is your spouse an ASA member??? Numbers count!!

ggorman
Website Admin
Website Admin

Post by ggorman »

quad1100 wrote:Assume, now I don't have to look up my membership user name and password anymore. Is there any reason what so ever that we will ever need it, or can I totally delete it?
You can "forget" your password, but don't "delete" it. You still need to keep your ASA membership account.

Greg
ASA Volunteer and Supporter
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me.

SANDUNERS

ANOTHER ADVANTAGE

Post by SANDUNERS »

Yes, after you merge your accounts together you can easily
INVITE A FRIEND 8)

So go up top on this page and click that link above and invite your friends to join up. They may think like Randysrail wrote,
I think I'm a member but I don't have my membership username and password
and found out he wasn't (or wife) listed in the database. He may have been one of those that signed up with only an email address before?

Help INFORM your family and friends... :P

Here is the message that both of you will receive.
Hello Earl,
Your duning friend, Jim Colln, has asked us to invite you to join the American Sand Association.

The goal of the American Sand Association is to unite, inform and mobilize the sand sports enthusiast. The ASA is a non profit organization managed and promoted by volunteers. We fight for public land use rights wherever we can.

You can join the ASA at http://www.americansandassociation.org/join.
AOL users: click here

Best of all, our memberships are FREE!

Best regards,
The American Sand Association

--
American Sand Association Inc.
http://www.americansandassociation.org
Unite, Inform and Mobilize to keep Sand Riding Areas open

P.S., Your email address was not kept by our mail server nor was it provided to any other organization.
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

L&L Corvairs
ASA Board Member
ASA Board Member

Post by L&L Corvairs »

Great job Jason. And I will get mine linked up eventually. I will use and like this addition.

Pet Peeve:

The Spell check feature on this thing still sucks!!! C'mon...it still kicks back the emoticons, and ASA and ISDRA and Glamis and others...am sorry :( but gotta ask...it's easier to link up all our accounts then make improvements/additions to the spell check feature?
L&L
It is not ours to decide the times in which we live.
It is only ours to decide what to do with the time given us.

Make the most of your time.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Actually....yeah. That spell checker is a major PITA to upgrade and work on :(

I'm looking for a better one since even the new version of this one have a lot of the same annoyances. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention though as it had slipped down on the priorities list somewhat since no one had mentioned it lately.

nats-fj40
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by nats-fj40 »

We have a SPELL CHECKER????????
Jon B.
KG6NLC

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Upgrading the spell checker right now....sorry if things are a little bit funky while I'm doing this.

Seems to be working now...at least in IE....Mozilla dosn't seem happy though :(

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

Doesn't work in Safari
Guy Chrest

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Guy, can you be more specific? Does it pop up the window? Does anything appear in the window? Do you get any Javascript errors? Is there a way to bring up a Javascript log or console in Safari so you can check for errors?

Please drop me a PM with more details so I can talk to the developers about getting it fixed to work with Safari.

A little quick research shows that there may be a Bug in Safari that keeps it from opening windows properly due to a bug in it's javascript implementation. If the problem is the window won't open there's nothing I can do it's apparently a bug in Safari that will hopefully be fixed in a new version.

If the window is opening and nothing is happening then I need an error log from Javascript to figure out what's wrong. Here's info from Apply on how to capture javascript errors with Safari:
14. How do I debug JavaScript in Safari?
In order to help debugging your site's JavaScript interaction with Safari, the Safari "Debug" menu allows you to turn on the logging of JavaScript errors to the Console. To display the debug menu, open a Terminal window and type:

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1

Launch your Console application, launch Safari and check "Log JavaSript Exceptions" in the Debug menu.

Winston Cup

Post by Winston Cup »

Ok I'll get a java log on what's happening. The window pops up but nothing happens beyond that, no words or anything in it, nothing, Just says phpSpell at the top left corner and a version number at the bottom right.
Guy Chrest

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Good, that's the same problem I'm having with Mozilla - I put in a temporary fix that fixed it for Mozilla but I'll need a Javascript log from Safari to figure out what variables are causing the problem there.

Oh and for the record it's a javascript log - java and Javascript are VERY different - in fact other than their names they have NOTHING in common. Netscape just used the name javascript to play off the popularity of java when they introduced it. Technically it's now supposed to be called ECMAScript but no one actually uses that name :)

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Papa Perry »

jhitesma wrote:If you think you're a member and when you try to join it tells you there's a confict with an existing account please don't hesistate to drop us an e-mail at webmaster@americansandassociation.org. That's what we're here for!
Jason,

We might want to add thie above statement to the Accounts Merge page. http://www.americansandassociation.org/ ... ounts.html

Perry

mawieche
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by mawieche »

Just wanted to see if ir works.
Just a dune dummie.

jhitesma

Post by jhitesma »

Went ya one better Perry and put the info from my first post in this thread on there with the lost password page and webmaster e-mail both linked to try and make it easier on people.

derwud
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by derwud »

Thanks to all, now let's see if it works.
Darryl Skelton

SHIFT-ed

2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4, 2006 WW FS2300, '06 Rhino Family wagon, '07 WR450F, '08 Right Knee!
The Trailer

Flo Haynes
ASA Merchandise Chair
ASA Merchandise Chair

Post by Flo Haynes »

working??
2004 JRS Award Winner

derwud
4th Gear Member
4th Gear Member

Post by derwud »

The ASA Member Icon
Darryl Skelton

SHIFT-ed

2005 Nissan Titan CC SE 4x4, 2006 WW FS2300, '06 Rhino Family wagon, '07 WR450F, '08 Right Knee!
The Trailer

Papa Perry
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by Papa Perry »

jhitesma wrote:Went ya one better Perry and put the info from my first post in this thread on there with the lost password page and webmaster e-mail both linked to try and make it easier on people.
Right on!

Thanks Jason!

sandrailprincess
5th Gear "Pinned" Member
5th Gear "Pinned" Member

Post by sandrailprincess »

:D
Its 8)
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice.
Bill Cosby

tysonlb
1st Gear Member

Post by tysonlb »

suhweeettt..........

SANDUNERS

Post by SANDUNERS »

MERGE, MERGE, MERGE 8)
Nothing is achieved without effort --- the fundamental force that brings success...:)

ARE YOU AWAKE YET???
Proud 2005 JRS Award recipient :P

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

Thanks to everyone who's merged their accounts so far.

If you haven't merged yet please do so, and feel free to ask for help if you need it. Detailed directions are at the top of this thread.

The ASA Member Logo is your ticket to a newly created Member's Only forum... Merge now to participate!

Voice

Post by Voice »

The ASA Member Logo is your ticket to a newly created Member's Only forum
Great, just what we need...
Mahmoud Ahmedinejad in a letter to President Elect Barak Obama
"May God Almighty ... bless the leaders of societies with the courage to learn from the mistakes of predecessors,"
"I hope that you will be able to take fullest advantage of the opportunity to serve and leave behind a positive legacy."

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

Hey VOR, you might have to get your free membership to jump in with us buddy! :lol:

Seriously, there's nothing secret, nothing special. Just a bonus forum for those who take the time to become a member. A free membership merged with a BBS account is all it takes.

Voice

Post by Voice »

Well, thanks for the offer, Bob... but without going into details, I'm not, at this time, willing to "sign on the dotted line".

What would it take? Oh, I don't know... one of the following would be a great start...

Activly oppose the AMA and call it exactly what it is... an extension of the closure.. (Doing a pretty good job on this... but those dunes are STILL not open)
Activly oppose Demo Fee, completely and catagoricly...

I've never been one to knock the ASA unfairly, and I've done my share of defending the ASA in the past. I support them to the extant that I am able, as long as they are representing me...

But, just like DUNERS or CORVA or any of the other orginizations don't really represent me, the ASA just doesn't quite do it.
Too many times their definition of a "bad duner" included me.

Vor
Mahmoud Ahmedinejad in a letter to President Elect Barak Obama
"May God Almighty ... bless the leaders of societies with the courage to learn from the mistakes of predecessors,"
"I hope that you will be able to take fullest advantage of the opportunity to serve and leave behind a positive legacy."

Intelliduner

Post by Intelliduner »

Bob Tenwick wrote:The ASA Member Logo is your ticket to a newly created Member's Only forum...

I don't see this new forum. Is it on this BB or elsewhere on the ASA website? Or is the link only visible to those who have merged?

I haven't merged because, this perk aside, I haven't seen any particular reason. I've logged in to my actual membership acct only a couple times in the past few years, and my BB login is handled automatically via cookies, so I don't care whether I have 1 or 2 passwords.

_dennis

Bob Tenwick

Post by Bob Tenwick »

Intelliduner wrote:
I don't see this new forum. Is it on this BB or elsewhere on the ASA website? Or is the link only visible to those who have merged?
Right now it's visible to member's only, and the only way to extend your free membership privileges to the BBS is to merge your accounts.
Intelliduner wrote:
I haven't merged because, this perk aside, I haven't seen any particular reason. I've logged in to my actual membership acct only a couple times in the past few years, and my BB login is handled automatically via cookies, so I don't care whether I have 1 or 2 passwords.

_dennis
The idea here is to not only provide a very small perk to members, but to provide an easy way to make sure you're actually a member. Just a few months ago I realized I wasn't a member myself when I thought I was.

Merge your accounts and join the forum. There's a poll in there now I would like member's input on. There's gonna be a fun contest soon. We'll see ya there!

Return to “Wide Open Sand”